Concealed Carry in a Theatre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry in a Theatre

Concealed Carry in a Theatre

What is the interpretation of concealed carry in a theatre? I know Michigan law states a theatre with a seating capacity of 2500 is a PFZ, but is that each individual theatre or is it for the entire complex? I know I can open carry as long as the management does not ban firearms all together because I have a CPL. Thank you ahead of time.

I'm not attorney but I interpet that to mean the inside area of the theater venue itself, not just the individual "theaters enclosed in the building but the entire building.
    AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by asaling View Post
    I'm not attorney but I interpet that to mean the inside area of the theater venue itself, not just the individual "theaters enclosed in the building but the entire building.
    Key argument here could be the use of the noun "Theater" singular as it is written in the law or the plural from when the establishment calls it's self "Theater's" and is comprised of multiple smaller viewing areas, which is not in the law specificaly.... but basically you are right although there is no official AG opinion at present they are considering the building as a single unit for occupancy, that is the anti ones are......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

This question came up in our CPL training class and we were told that we had to concider the theater as a whole, so all of the seating in the theaters combined must be accounted for.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Having a gun/flashlight in a theater might increase your odds of surviving if someone wants to open up in the theater, even with the pandamonium.

Not have a gun/flashlight (and training) pretty much makes you one of the fish in the barrel.

So, in considering the above two things I'd have to say, as I always do here much to the frowning of the law abiding sheeples, the hell with any "no guns" signs. That's just me tho, I'm sure some will disagree and that's the beauty of freedom, we are free to openly express opinions! For me, the words "...shall not be infringed" are to be taken literally. "no guns" = infringement. I'd think the idea is a simple one actually, just as the idea of the difference between the first two sentences of this post!

Please read the above twice, if you would please.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Here is the kicker, in no way am I condoning violation of the law but CC then switch to OC in the Theater... Mi AG opinion 7078.... look it up
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

8. re: PFZ. It's considered rude to use acronyms and abbreviations without using the unshortened version beforehand. That way you know everyone is on the same page and understands what you are trying to communicate.

PFZ... Paradise for zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Here is the kicker, in no way am I condoning violation of the law but CC then switch to OC in the Theater... Mi AG opinion 7078.... look it up
    ?? From a Google search of your criteria.

"CONSTITUTIONAL LAW:

SCHOOLS AND SCHOOL DISTRICTS:

TAX EXEMPTION:

Homestead tax exemption as violating equal protection of law under state and federal constitutions
    Section 1211(1) of the Revised School Code, which authorizes school districts to levy a maximum of 18 mills for school operating purposes but exempts homestead property from those levies, does not violate equal protection of law as guaranteed by Const 1963, art 1, 2, and US Const, Am XIV, when applied to owners of non-homestead, income-producing real property.

Opinion No. 7078

March 20, 2001

Honorable Thaddeus G. McCotter
    State Senator
    The Capitol
    Lansing, MI 48909-7536"

Again. ??
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    ?? From a Google search of your criteria.

"CONSTITUTIONAL LAW:

SCHOOLS AND SCHOOL DISTRICTS:

TAX EXEMPTION:

Homestead tax exemption as violating equal protection of law under state and federal constitutions
    Section 1211(1) of the Revised School Code, which authorizes school districts to levy a maximum of 18 mills for school operating purposes but exempts homestead property from those levies, does not violate equal protection of law as guaranteed by Const 1963, art 1, 2, and US Const, Am XIV, when applied to owners of non-homestead, income-producing real property.

Opinion No. 7078

March 20, 2001

Honorable Thaddeus G. McCotter
    State Senator
    The Capitol
    Lansing, MI 48909-7536"

Again. ??

You don't goggle a MI AG opinion, you go to the MI AG website SOM - State of Michigan then do a search under MI Gun laws opinion 7078, short version it grants anyone with a CCW the same rights as a Police officer WRT OC, so Theaters, sports arenas, Schools are not off limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast