Michigan CPL/knife?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan CPL/knife?

1. Michigan CPL/knife?

This likely is a "stupid" question, but, does CPL limit you to only "pistols?" I know that in some states that have "CCW" (carry concealed weapon) they can also carry a knife in addition to a concealed firearm.

Thought?

Thanks

I carry a knife along with my pistol, the CPL is just to carry a pistol. I was told that with a CPL you can also carry pepper spray that has a little more punch that a person without a CPL cannot carry.

4. Your knife has to be with in legal blade length of 3". A CPL does not allow you to carry an automatic knife or blade longer than 3".

5. That is why they changed the title to cpl... Concealed pistol.. Knives must be legal length..

Quote Originally Posted by BobmG8 View Post
    Your knife has to be with in legal blade length of 3". A CPL does not allow you to carry an automatic knife or blade longer than 3".
    Mi knife laws are funny, in that rough quote here, but "when carried for illegal porpoises" other than that you need no special dispensation to carry a knife and not totally sure on the 3" but that is a part of the above... This was covered in some detail on the MGO site some time back....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddog543 View Post
    I carry a knife along with my pistol, the CPL is just to carry a pistol. I was told that with a CPL you can also carry pepper spray that has a little more punch that a person without a CPL cannot carry.
    I don't see anywhere in the law that a CPL can carry any different spray than a non license holder. What has changed is the percentage of OC that it can have. I believe that it was 2% max and now is 10%.

CPL is for handgun only.
    A loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle will be illegal not covered by CPL.
    Knife...can depend on what city you are in, Dearborn for one prohibits knifes even if CPL is valid. Most of MI knifes are OK if carried for "legal" use unless automatic openers.

OC spray has changed to 10% and can be carried by most anyone for legal purposes.

Michigan has the firearm preemption law (MCL 123.1102) that prohibits local municipalities from enacting any firearm ordinances more strict than existing State law. However, there is not any similar preemption law that covers knives so... even though State law mentions a blade length of 3 inches there is nothing preventing your town, township, county, or city from banning knives of all kinds regardless of blade length.

Because of this I would strongly suggest folks check into their local ordinances to discover if that little jack knife they have in their pocket qualifies as an illegal concealed weapon.

Also because there is no knife preemption I would strongly suggest folks who carry knives, including the ubiquitous jack knife, check into the ordinances for all the localities they go to or travel through on a daily basis since each municipality might have different knife ordinances.

And I would doubly strongly suggest folks who carry guns rethink also carrying a knife, even a little jack knife, because if arrested/convicted/confessed to carrying a knife in violation of a local ordinance it might put a person's carry permit in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Michigan has the firearm preemption law (MCL 123.1102) that prohibits local municipalities from enacting any firearm ordinances more strict than existing State law. However, there is not any similar preemption law that covers knives so... even though State law mentions a blade length of 3 inches there is nothing preventing your town, township, county, or city from banning knives of all kinds regardless of blade length.

Because of this I would strongly suggest folks check into their local ordinances to discover if that little jack knife they have in their pocket qualifies as an illegal concealed weapon.

Also because there is no knife preemption I would strongly suggest folks who carry knives, including the ubiquitous jack knife, check into the ordinances for all the localities they go to or travel through on a daily basis since each municipality might have different knife ordinances.

And I would doubly strongly suggest folks who carry guns rethink also carrying a knife, even a little jack knife, because if arrested/convicted/confessed to carrying a knife in violation of a local ordinance it might put a person's carry permit in jeopardy.
    I see your point. I carry a Leatherman as as a utility tool/knife but if the thought is to carry a knife along with your handgun as a less lethal self defense tool; it isn't. If I want something less than lethal as an option then Pepper Spray is better since it is covered by State law and is not a deadly weapon. A knife is just as deadly as a firearm and has the disadvantage of being up close and personal. If the confrontation reaches a point where deadly force is justified then "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    I see your point. I carry a Leatherman as as a utility tool/knife but if the thought is to carry a knife along with your handgun as a less lethal self defense tool; it isn't. If I want something less than lethal as an option then Pepper Spray is better since it is covered by State law and is not a deadly weapon. A knife is just as deadly as a firearm and has the disadvantage of being up close and personal. If the confrontation reaches a point where deadly force is justified then "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."
    Could a Leatherman be considered a "knife" by the police or a prosecutor? It has a blade so I dunno for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast