Local Cop said he'd arrest me today for protecting myself!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Cop said he'd arrest me today for protecting myself!

Local Cop said he'd arrest me today for protecting myself!

I've lived in the same house 30+ yrs. Neighbor 2 houses down has 2 vicious German Shepard's. Last year her dog jumped the 6ft fence & attacked me, thank God for my Akita! At that time animal control made her put up a privacy fence yada yada yada.
    This morning I let my dog out into our fenced back yard & before I got sat down I heard what sounded like a huge dog fight. I ran out there (on a broken foot) to see that the neighbor had been walking those dogs OFF LEASH & they were now at my fence barking & jumping trying to get over fence to my dog. I called cops.
    When he came he said he will not make police report this time because nobody was injured. I told him my other neighbor has a 1 yr old baby that plays in their back yard & if those shepherds jump the fence & go after that baby I'm going to shoot both of the dogs. At that time the cop looked at my 9mm (which is always on my desk) and he said, I can arrest you right now for making threats. WHAT?!
    Tomorrow my 1st stop will be animal control. Dogs MUST be a on a leash. My 2nd stop will be to have a discussion with our police chief. He needs to explain the gun laws to his officers. When I told the cop that I have every right to shoot to protect human life he said, "Don't tell me the law I KNOW THE LAW!".
    Well obviously not. And trust me, if those dogs go after anybody again I will use MY rights as a lawful gun owner to defend human life!
    "A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."- Larry Elder

Well you did make a threat, basically. A well meant one certainly, but ... and I agree with you, if you or the baby are attacked you can of course defend yourself.

4. jg1967, I don't see your logic in that of JAJ making a threat. He made a statement of what he would do to save a child. If that is seen as a threat to you and that cop, their is truly something wrong with the way you think. I sense that too much "PC" has been absorbed from watching MSM.

Thanks Tony! BTW I'm a 120 lb woman & the 1st time the dog jumped the fence it tore me up pretty good before my Akita got it by the throat.
    "A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."- Larry Elder

The dog laws in virtually every state, specifically state a dog can be killed while attacking persons or livestock. They generally don't give permission for a dog attacking another dog, but I assume the aggressor dog will attack you while saving your dog and then, well...
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

7. Respectfully remind your cops and their chief that the U S Supreme Court has said they are not responsible for any individual's safety therefore you are allowed to protect yourself or others.

Next time ask the leo what he would do if attack by the dog or observed a baby being attched.

L E O's should only be allowed to investigate and take thier findings to a State Attroney to present to a "Grand Jury" take away thier power to arrest unless immediate harm will befall another.

SCOTUS opinion:

(see Christy v. Elliot, 216 Ill. 31, 74 NE 1035; Cal v. Farley, 98 Cal.
    09, 20 CA 3d 1032; Mich. v. Duke, 266 US 576, 69, 449.)
    State police power extends only to immediate threats to public safety,
    health, and welfare.

source:Supreme Law School : E-mail : Box 036 : Msg 03678
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Well you did make a threat, basically. A well meant one certainly, but ... and I agree with you, if you or the baby are attacked you can of course defend yourself.
    How is it a threat to save the baby if the dogs jump the fence he was saying what he would do if the dogs jump in the yard and attack the baby.I will admit it would probable been better not to have said any thing at all.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

This is an example of why every community needs to have a citizen's review board as a check against potential LEO abuses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast