Nevada!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nevada!!

Talking Nevada!!

We just picked up Reciprocity with Nevada! Thanks Mike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Good News. It's been a long time since I've been to Michigan, but I'm still very pleased to have reciprocity. Of course, we should have 50 state reciprocity (territories and possessions too!)
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I sure wish we could get Wisconsin and Illiniois to see the light. Very frustrating for me since I travel to those states fairly regularly. Any way, it's good to see Nevada on the list.
    Conflict is inevitable, combat is a choice!

that's some good news. glad things are moving forward.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

It's not reciprocity, it's recognition...

It is recognition. Just because a State is on the NV DPS recognition list does not mean you can carry in the listed State with a NV CFP. Case and point NE; you cannot legally CCW in Nebraska on a NV CFP as of yet because there is no provision for recognition or reciprocity in that State. NE CHPs do meet with the statutory requirements with ratification from the NSCA and NV DPS.

Now you Michiganians need to come down here, spend money and keep my property and sales taxes down. :icon_wink:
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.
    I'm petty sure that is reciprocity.

If that is the case then why...

I'm petty sure that is reciprocity.
    If that's indeed the case then why the NV DPS recognition page titled as "Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition"?

If it were reciprocity, NV CFP holders would be able to legally CCW in Nebraska. What Nevada has is Kansas style recognition; out of State CCWs that meet a statutory criteria are recognized. What MI and NV have is mutual recognition. MI is a "we honor all" State providing you reside in the issuing jurisdiction. NV will recognize a CCW that's on the NV DPS recognition list for new (under 60 days) or non-residents of Nevada. The law does not allow a NV CFP holder to necessarily carry in a State that is on the NV DPS recognition list. Fortunately the only present exception is Nebraska which has no recognition or reciprocity whatsoever.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

The law does not allow a NV CFP holder to necessarily carry in a State that is on the NV DPS recognition list. Fortunately the only present exception is Nebraska which has no recognition or reciprocity whatsoever.
    No that is up to the individual state codes, in Mi your Nv permit is valid, just as my Mi permit is now valid in Nv when the AG's got togeather and each state recognized the other permit system and allows carry in their state that is reciprocity.

Care to wager on it?

No that is up to the individual state codes, in Mi your Nv permit is valid, just as my Mi permit is now valid in Nv when the AG's got togeather and each state recognized the other permit system and allows carry in their state that is reciprocity.
    Get a NV CFP and tell a NE LEO you're carrying on a NV CFP since according to you we have reciprocity. We'll see how quickly you become a product of the NE correctional system. I'm a gambling man, I'll pay you five grand if you can legally carry on a NV CFP in NE as of the current NE CCW laws since there is reciprocity by your definition.

What the MI AG did was appease NV DPS and the NSCA by meeting the statutory requirements in NV to have MI CPLs recognized here, nothing more. Reciprocity is a contractual agreement between the reciprocating States, it is not limited to just CCWs, it's also done for other licenses and permits (i.e. MDs, educators, PIs, bail enforcement agents, recovery agents, realtors and insurance producers); there is no such contractual agreement between MI and NV for CCWs. There is also no statutory provision under the NRS for NV DPS to enter into such agreements. Either a State makes the statutory grade to be recognized in NV or it doesn't.
    Last edited by netentity; 05-14-2008 at 02:00 PM.

to quote your own state bill no 237
    Section 2 of this bill allows a person who is
    not a resident of this State to carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person
    has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by a state included in the list
    prepared by the Department of Public Safety pursuant to
    the section refereed to

[Sec. 2. 1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a
    person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that
    was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to
    section 3 of this act may carry a concealed firearm in this State in
    accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to
    202.369, inclusive, and sections 2 and 3 of this act.
    2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed
    firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared
    pursuant to section 3 of this act may not carry a concealed firearm
    in this State if the person:
    (a) Becomes a resident of this State; and
    (b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county
    in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of
    this State.
    3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this
    section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements
    imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff
    in this State.

and quoting your states web page

accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders: Michigan (added May 9, 2008)

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

Now if you want to go here for a look Those that recognize Michigan issued permits are: You will see Nevada on that page and this is the reciprocity link for our sate, and a rose by any other name is still a rose, so as to your be will you pay for the gas to drive out there too?:bigsmile:

anyone can read the law and interpret it their way but the important part is our state AG's got together and made a agreement so now my Mi CCW permit is valid in NV.
    When I was out there last time being a law abiding citizen and that being a primary character flaw of many of us, my gun had to stay locked in the car unloaded separate from any ammo, and I for one was not comfortable with that, LV is a high crime area lots of people lots of easy pickings for a BG and all you have to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time, at least now I would have a chance that I did not before.
    Last edited by Sheldon; 05-14-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast