Michigan: Senate Judiciary Committee Unanimously Approves to Lift a State Gun Ban
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Michigan: Senate Judiciary Committee Unanimously Approves to Lift a State Gun Ban

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Battle Creek Michigan
    Posts
    1,269

    Michigan: Senate Judiciary Committee Unanimously Approves to Lift a State Gun Ban


    On Tuesday, the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved Senate Bill 610 that would lift Michiganís ban on the private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are strictly regulated under the federal National Firearms Act. Therefore, by repealing this longstanding state gun ban, Michigan law would conform with federal law, and align Michigan with more than forty other states that already allow their resident to possess these firearms. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are subject to restrictive regulations including requiring their buyers to undergo a background investigation, pay a $200 tax and register these firearms with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
    The NRA applauds the Senate Judiciary Committee voting to repeal this gun ban. Since SB 610 is now eligible for consideration on the state Senate floor, please contact your state Senator in SUPPORT of Senate Bill 610.


    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    Wow, I was unaware of the restrictions until this came on. I didnt see it on the state website, but I will send a letter to my state reps and senators to support the lift.
    Thanks for the post.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    I hope you guys get this ban lifted. A SB shotgun is one heck of a home defense tool.

    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I hope you guys get this ban lifted. A SB shotgun is one heck of a home defense tool.

    My Mossberg 12ga. with the 18 1/2" barrel is short enough for me. Any shorter than that, and the barrel will be shorter than the shell tube. And yes, it makes a fine home defense weapon.

    I would write letters to my senators, but it is useless. They are as anti-gun, liberal as a person can get. I'm sick of reading the condescending form letter that they will send me in return, while totally ignoring what I wrote.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    Funny thing is, while alot of other states are working harder to add weapons bans and restrictions, Michigan, since Governor Snyder has taken office has worked hard on lifting bans and allowing law abiding citizens to enjoy their weapon freedoms.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post

    [FONT="]On Tuesday, the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved Senate Bill 610 that would lift Michigan’s ban on the private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are strictly regulated under the federal National Firearms Act. Therefore, by repealing this longstanding state gun ban, Michigan law would conform with federal law, and align Michigan with more than forty other states that already allow their resident to possess these firearms. Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are subject to restrictive regulations including requiring their buyers to undergo a background investigation, pay a $200 tax and register these firearms with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]The NRA applauds the Senate Judiciary Committee voting to repeal this gun ban. Since SB 610 is now eligible for consideration on the state Senate floor, please contact your state Senator in SUPPORT of Senate Bill 610.[/FONT]


    You know, by black letter law, the NFA doesn't apply to anything buy posession of said restricted weapons while on land that is exclusively owne by, or ceded to the Federal government? In other words, unless you're on a Military base, or in Washington DC, or the like, it doesn't actually apply to most people at all. Unfortunarely, fighting this in court is pretty much impossible because the courts will simply refuse to hear the case, since they are already bought and paid for by the government itself.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Funny thing is, while alot of other states are working harder to add weapons bans and restrictions, Michigan, since Governor Snyder has taken office has worked hard on lifting bans and allowing law abiding citizens to enjoy their weapon freedoms.
    Can you give just one example of Snyder doing this?
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  9. #8


    Start at 15 minutes in, to get to the bit about the NFA.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #9
    ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Funny thing is, while alot of other states are working harder to add weapons bans and restrictions, Michigan, since Governor Snyder has taken office has worked hard on lifting bans and allowing law abiding citizens to enjoy their weapon freedoms.
    Um… that has been largely in spite of Snyder taking office. Snyder tried his dead level best to outlaw OC using changes he required to the wording of SB59 that would have prohibited OC in exchange for his promise to sign a so-called expansion to the right to carry concealed in a gun free zone (by the time the extra classes, additional rounds, and other requirements were in place, it would have been too expensive for many to get the exemption), and he also vetoed HB5225, which would have required that CPLs must be issued or denied within 45 days (with the penalty of forfeiting state funds), done away with pistol registries entirely, and defaulted to the NICS background check system instead of Michigan's far more limited and inefficient LEIN system. After promising to sign both pieces of legislation, he used Newtown as an excuse to veto them. He publicly stated in an interview the following day that he sees no value in the carry of a firearm in any public place, and is in favor of keeping gun free zones in place for schools and churches, AND expanding them to public buildings/meetings (he expressly vetoed SB59 because the bill did not contain a provision for schools to opt out of concealed carry expansion and retain their gun free zone status if they wanted to do so). Yes, he did sign the law permitting ownership of tasers/stun guns, but only after getting the CPL requirement added.

    Yes, this bill has come out of committee, but we are now into November. Realistically, this means that, according to the house calendar, we have between 12 - 15 DAYS left in which to get this through both the senate and the house, and to do it with enough votes to override the east side of the state and a probable Snyder veto because this legislation doesn't fit into his agenda. There are only 2 weeks of three days each of sessions scheduled for November; there are three 3 day weeks scheduled for December, but the entire week of Dec. 17-19 is tentative. The only chance this bill has to be passed yet this year is if there is a flood of pressure from constituents demanding that the legislation be fast tracked, otherwise, we start all over again January 1.

    Long story short, if Snyder vetoed HB5225, which would have required Michigan to default to NICS, then I don't see him signing this legislation that does away with Michigan's own ban on short barreled firearms in favor of NFA.

    Snyder is NOT a friend of the Second Amendment.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    Um… that has been largely in spite of Snyder taking office. Snyder tried his dead level best to outlaw OC using changes he required to the wording of SB59 that would have prohibited OC in exchange for his promise to sign a so-called expansion to the right to carry concealed in a gun free zone (by the time the extra classes, additional rounds, and other requirements were in place, it would have been too expensive for many to get the exemption), and he also vetoed HB5225, which would have required that CPLs must be issued or denied within 45 days (with the penalty of forfeiting state funds), done away with pistol registries entirely, and defaulted to the NICS background check system instead of Michigan's far more limited and inefficient LEIN system. After promising to sign both pieces of legislation, he used Newtown as an excuse to veto them. He publicly stated in an interview the following day that he sees no value in the carry of a firearm in any public place, and is in favor of keeping gun free zones in place for schools and churches, AND expanding them to public buildings/meetings (he expressly vetoed SB59 because the bill did not contain a provision for schools to opt out of concealed carry expansion and retain their gun free zone status if they wanted to do so). Yes, he did sign the law permitting ownership of tasers/stun guns, but only after getting the CPL requirement added.

    Yes, this bill has come out of committee, but we are now into November. Realistically, this means that, according to the house calendar, we have between 12 - 15 DAYS left in which to get this through both the senate and the house, and to do it with enough votes to override the east side of the state and a probable Snyder veto because this legislation doesn't fit into his agenda. There are only 2 weeks of three days each of sessions scheduled for November; there are three 3 day weeks scheduled for December, but the entire week of Dec. 17-19 is tentative. The only chance this bill has to be passed yet this year is if there is a flood of pressure from constituents demanding that the legislation be fast tracked, otherwise, we start all over again January 1.

    Long story short, if Snyder vetoed HB5225, which would have required Michigan to default to NICS, then I don't see him signing this legislation that does away with Michigan's own ban on short barreled firearms in favor of NFA.

    Snyder is NOT a friend of the Second Amendment.
    Hm, since you put it that way, kinda seems youre right. I was unaware of the issues prior, and only heard he vetoed HB5225 because the language wasnt correct, furthermore, I wasnt aware at the time 5225 was to be voted on that it was basically outlawing OC, which I like to do if the clothes Im wearing makes CC uncomfortable. Thanks for the heads up, Ill have to watch things a little more closely from here on out. Seems I was a bit mislead somewhere in the past to believe he was a friend of 2A
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast