Open carry confrontation at a Rest Stop
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry confrontation at a Rest Stop

Open carry confrontation at a Rest Stop

Extremely rare when I don't cover up, Friday was an exception. I was wearing my OWB with the .45 when I stopped at a rest area up by Shepard. Since the place was pretty much empty and I was only going to be a moment, decided to forgo putting my coat back on.
    Lady confronted me as I hit the front door, yelling at me about wearing a gun, and asking if I was a cop. Told me it was against the law to open carry on any state property, she knew that, because she worked there. Told her I didn't think she was fully aware of the laws (trying to be polite) and continued into the Men's room. She waited for me, and kept telling me that I needed to make sure I never carried on any state property again.
    First time at all for me to have a bad experience carrying, mainly carry concealed due to work, but on a rare occasion open.

It never amazes how someone unarmed has the juevos to confront an armed person and get in their face. Fortunately for them, you're one of the good guys.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Chalk it up to their ignorance.

If she really thought it was against the law, I wonder why she bothered to wait for you rather than call the cops. *shrugs*
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Either she didn't think you were a BG, and was being an airhole, or she was totally brain dead...
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Hopefully at some point she did call the police because dispatchers are getting better at informing people OC is legal.

The Sturgis paper this month had a letter to the editor from someone who was upset with the county sheriff. They called 911 when they saw an OC'er at the counter of a local restaurant. The Co. dispatch said that it was legal and no officers needed to respond.

The way it should to be

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Hopefully at some point she did call the police because dispatchers are getting better at informing people OC is legal.

The Sturgis paper this month had a letter to the editor from someone who was upset with the county sheriff. They called 911 when they saw an OC'er at the counter of a local restaurant. The Co. dispatch said that it was legal and no officers needed to respond.

The way it should to be
    No officers needed to respond...no way...I thought they had an obligation to respond like all the badge bunnies here keep telling me...

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Georgia is (supposed to be) an open carry state. My husband and I were having dinner at Picadilly with some friends (several years ago now...), back when he wore openly. (Now, let me add that every single man at our table was probably carrying, albeit concealed, as was I, the only woman.) "Suddenly" (about halfway through dinner) three cop cars and five cops show up... They came up to us and asked to speak to Michael... then the one 'leading the charge' asked if he could 'hold' Michael's gun while they spoke. (I'm annoyed by that, but I understand it. Michael, being the calmest man on the planet, agreed and carefully handed it over.) This cop -- without, apparently, even LOOKING at the gun -- stuffed a(n unknown) cocked-and-locked ParaOrdnance P-10 into his belt, pointing at his own family jewels!

After a few minutes of speaking with Michael and looking at his CC license, they asked to him step outside -- since five cops surrounding a dinner meeting was attracting a lot of attention. I stayed inside as long as I could (about 5 minutes. I'm the opposite of the calmest person!) and then came out. Two of the cars and three of the cops had left. Michael and one cop were standing somewhat away from the building talking, and one cop was standing by the door. I asked him what had happened. It seem four different people had called 911 to report "a man with a gun!" at Picadilly... and the dispatcher, of course, didn't bother to ask, 'What's he doing?" (to which the reply would have to have been he's EATING HIS DINNER!!!) and so followed all the hysteria of cops racing up to a restaurant for no good reason...

I asked why they were there, since GA is an open carry state, and the cop said "not on public property." ?? "Picadilly is not public property, it's owned by someone." "No, if the public can go there, it's public property." (I managed to keep my mouth shut -- I did not want to get into it with a cop who clearly did not know public from privately owned!) Finally Michael and the cop headed out to our car, where "they" put the gun the trunk and Michael came back to finish his dinner. (He said later, the cop had said that it would avoid trouble if he'd just carry concealed from now on, and would he put the gun in the car? Michael pointed out that he couldn't put the gun in the car because HE didn't have the gun, the cop still did; so the cop said he'd walk with Michael to the car...

So, to avoid future trouble (with uneducated cops!), Michael switched to carrying concealed, despite it not being necessary. It still infuriates me, but alas, doesn't surprise me.

8. You know there's a really easy way to avoid confrontations like this......
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    You know there's a really easy way to avoid confrontations like this......
    You mean give up all of our freedoms one at a time to cater to the whiny minority that has an issue with our legal exercise of our rights guaranteed by the Constitution? You know, like the state employee, likely a janitor, who thinks they have enforcement powers of laws that don't even exist to make them feel better? Or maybe that police officer that expects us to pee ourselves on sight to show submission? Or that next door neighbor who finds our display of the US flag on our house to be disgusting?

It also would have been easier for the founding fathers to just avoid confrontation and submit to the crown too, right and then we wouldn't be having all these problems with guns in our country, would we? Just like it would be easiest to just submit to Czar Obama and let him destroy this country unhindered?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    You know there's a really easy way to avoid confrontations like this......
    Possibly, but I would rather just go ahead and use the facilities when I wish to and not try and hold it until I get home. At my age you never know.

I know its a pain in the ass, and its not right but if you go in somewhere and the people there do not know you, right or no right conceal your gun, it may avoid your food getting cold, 7% of the population in my area carry a gun and 1 to 2 % of them OP so seeing someone with a gun on there belt is not a real big deal, but its really funny seeing people looking then trying to appear that they didn't
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast