2 Questions re: Michigan Gun Laws

Thread: 2 Questions re: Michigan Gun Laws

1. 2 Questions re: Michigan Gun Laws

Hey everyone, I am a new CPL recipient. I have two questions. Right now I am watching the news regarding the shooting in Lafayette, LA and I was wondering. Is it illegal to carry my firearm inside a movie theater if it seats less than 2,500 people? And secondly, I know that I am required to announce "Stop or I'll shoot!" before I fire on someone. But what if they are already shooting? Do I still have to make that announcement or can I just shoot him if he is actively shooting? Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by jennyrebekah View Post
    Hey everyone, I am a new CPL recipient. I have two questions. Right now I am watching the news regarding the shooting in Lafayette, LA and I was wondering. Is it illegal to carry my firearm inside a movie theater if it seats less than 2,500 people? And secondly, I know that I am required to announce "Stop or I'll shoot!" before I fire on someone. But what if they are already shooting? Do I still have to make that announcement or can I just shoot him if he is actively shooting? Jennifer
    Please visit handgunlaw.us | Michigan to find out more about your state's carry laws. A movie theater that seats less than 2,500 people is not off limits by law, but it may very well be posted (with a No Guns sign). Also, read Michigan Criminal Code Section 780.971-780.974:

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.
    Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
    You are NOT required to announce "Stop or I'll shoot!" Whoever told you that is an idiot. Take a defensive handgun class to learn about how to react when something like this happens.

Yelling "Stop!" has its value in certain situations, but it should never slow down your response to an existing deadly threat and it should not take away any tactical advantage you might have. Making an active shooter aware of the fact that you are about to shoot him is quite stupid, because you won't live to tell the end of this story. Yelling "Stop or I'll shoot!" and then wait for a response is a movie myth.

Yelling "Stop!" as you draw your gun and start shooting can be helpful. It will inform the people around you that you are responding to a threat and it will help you with breathing. Drawing my firearm, stepping left or right, yelling "Stop!", shooting two rounds in the center of mass and one round in the head takes me less than two seconds at the range. Simply put, I am making the active shooter aware of the fact that he is being shot at without giving him any time to think about it.

4. I appreciate your candor! I laughed out loud at your response while finding it very helpful! Thanks!