I'm asking for help re: Loose Lips Sink Ships, - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm asking for help re: Loose Lips Sink Ships,

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    There should be an OPSEC and PERSEC warning on all military boards. If someone is posting their APO's and their deployment destinations online for the open board to see then the moderators should erase those posts and threads, with a stern warning for those involved in such stupity.
    Yes, thanks, I did find some info regarding published, sensitive, and stricter security of information for our troops on an OPSEC site and posted it on my board. It's not a military board, it's a church board. Either way, yes, it's just plain stupid to risk any of our MILPERSONs in any way, shape or form by publishing anything more than name & rank. Serial numbers are now SS numbers and should never be published, imho. I'm surprised, even mad and shocked really, at how much flak I've received when I called this practice into question. Out of 300 people on this church board, NOT ONE other church member agreed with me, and others told me I was fear mongering. They justified the publishing of so much information by citing knowing who to write to to comfort them while they are on duty. Just a name, a rank, and an APO/FPO will do the trick, but they published home base, new camp, times and dates and full names with MOS, along with so much more info. They just don't get it! Sad! I've also notified the DoD and Homeland Security. Maybe they will want to make a visit, maybe not.

Thanks, Ron.

Your last link was it!

The gist of this alert is that military personnel cannot give certain types of information to the public, the same type unintentionally given here, without proper review or approval. It's good security that if they cannot, then we ought not. Everyone, while in basic training, is instructed to not disseminate this type of information. It is not provoking fear when we attempt to protect as much as possible the safety of a daughter, all military personnel, during peace time or war time. From the comments here and on other sites, I'm finding that most civilians, no matter how connected to active or retired military and even many military personnel themselves, do not understand nor consider serious this concept of security. Scary.

The following is an unclassified alert from the Department of Defense. August 6, 2006: Sorry for the all capitals, the alert is written that way.

___

INFORMATION SECURITY/WEBSITE ALERT
    06 AUG 2006

2. ALL PERSONNEL HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT NO INFORMATION THAT MIGHT PLACE OUR SERVICE MEMBERS IN JEOPARDY OR THAT WOULD BE OF USE TO OUR ADVERSARIES IS POSTED TO WEBSITES THAT ARE READILY ACCESSIBLE BY THE PUBLIC. ALTHOUGH NOT A FINITE LIST, SUCH INFORMATION INCLUDES, AMONG OTHER THINGS, TECHNICAL INFORMATION, OPERATIONAL PLANS, TROOP ROTATION SCHEDULES, POSITION AND MOVEMENT OF U.S. NAVAL CRAFT, DESCRIPTIONS OF OVERSEAS MILITARY BASES, VULNERABILITY OF WEAPON SYSTEMS OR DISCUSSION OF AREAS FREQUENTED BY U.S. PERSONNEL OVERSEAS. SPECIAL ATTENTION SHALL BE GIVEN TO IDENTIFICATION OF INFORMATION THAT WOULD FACILITATE CIRCUMVENTION OF DOD, COMPONENT OR COMMAND POLICIES, RULES, REGULATIONS OR OTHER SIGNIFICANT GUIDANCE (E.G., ORDERS, MANUALS, INSTRUCTIONS, SECURITY CLASSIFICATION GUIDES)...

3. *BLOGS,* OR WEB LOGS, POSTED TO PUBLIC WEBSITES ARE INCREASINGLY USED BY MILITARY PERSONNEL AS PERSONAL JOURNALS. COMMANDERS SHALL ENSURE SUBORDINATES ARE AWARE THAT, IN ACCORDANCE WITH DOD DIRECTIVE 5230.9, *CLEARANCE OF DOD INFORMATION FOR PUBLIC RELEASE,* AND THE JOINT ETHICS REGULATION (DOD 5500.7-R), PERSONAL BLOGS (I.E., THOSE NOT HAVING DOD SPONSORSHIP AND PURPOSE) MAY NOT BE CREATED/MAINTAINED DURING NORMAL DUTY HOURS AND MAY NOT CONTAIN INFORMATION ON MILITARY ACTIVITIES THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. SUCH INFORMATION INCLUDES COMMENTS ON DAILY MILITARY ACTIVITIES AND OPERATIONS, UNIT MORALE, RESULTS OF OPERATIONS, STATUS OF EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE BENEFICIAL TO ADVERSARIES.

4. IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 6.2.7 OF DODI 5230.29, *SECURITY AND POLICY REVIEW OF DOD INFORMATION FOR PUBLIC RELEASE,* ANY INFORMATION MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS OF PARAGRAPH 6.1 OF THAT INSTRUCTION, INCLUDING INFORMATION REGARDING MILITARY OPERATIONAL PLANS, SHALL BE REVIEWED AND APPROVED FOR RELEASE BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE OFFICE OF FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND SECURITY REVIEW PRIOR TO POSTING ON WEBSITES ACCESSIBLE TO THE PUBLIC. ...

OPSEC and PERSEC are huge but the most common violaters are the press and the young warriors, some of them have been targeted the enemy does use this stuff to exploit our Warriors and support it's cause but with the spped of information it's near impossible to regualte and it is a very place out there today than it was even 5 yeras ago let alone back in '78 when I started this journey.

Heck I have more info on this site than I should!

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Having been in a couple of wars I believe one reason a war can be lost is because the enemy knows sensitive information about troop whereabouts, strengths and combat actions. Posting APO/ FPO addresses causes no real concern, however, posting where a deployment is located and what they intend to do is something that shouldn't be done. The more bits and pieces of information the enemy can collect, the better they can defend against our actions and kill our troops. Of course this is only my opinion and can be debated. GD maybe the following will help:

Safeguarding Sensitive But Unclassified (For Official Use Only) Information
    i honestly belive the mno's are a bigger threat to troops security, any one rember when the seals came ashore in kuwait?,cnn and outher news org. were alerted somehow and as seals wre landing all those lights came on so the mno's could film the insurtion. the seals were much more disciplined than i would have been, i would have hosed the lights and everything under them as they had just compromized the op.!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Yes, thanks, I did find some info regarding published, sensitive, and stricter security of information for our troops on an OPSEC site and posted it on my board. It's not a military board, it's a church board. Either way, yes, it's just plain stupid to risk any of our MILPERSONs in any way, shape or form by publishing anything more than name & rank. Serial numbers are now SS numbers and should never be published, imho. I'm surprised, even mad and shocked really, at how much flak I've received when I called this practice into question. Out of 300 people on this church board, NOT ONE other church member agreed with me, and others told me I was fear mongering. They justified the publishing of so much information by citing knowing who to write to to comfort them while they are on duty. Just a name, a rank, and an APO/FPO will do the trick, but they published home base, new camp, times and dates and full names with MOS, along with so much more info. They just don't get it! Sad! I've also notified the DoD and Homeland Security. Maybe they will want to make a visit, maybe not.
    Your church is putting those soldiers in danger. They should be stopped.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    i honestly belive the mno's are a bigger threat to troops security, any one rember when the seals came ashore in kuwait?,cnn and outher news org. were alerted somehow and as seals wre landing all those lights came on so the mno's could film the insurtion. the seals were much more disciplined than i would have been, i would have hosed the lights and everything under them as they had just compromized the op.!
    Oldvet you make a very good argument for NOT releasing info except on a "need to know" basis. If the insertion info had been better protected those SEALS would not have had their lives placed in even greater danger than they already were. In just about every war, if you research a little, you can find where leaked info helped prolong the war.

GdClean (and whomever), FWIW the ASA is no more. I don't know what it was supplanted by but the ASA - as such - no longer exists (I understand). I was with the ASA in Berlin in the mid/late 60's, working hand-in-glove with the NSA at a place called Teufelsberg (look it up). Interesting poop, that's for sure.

Regarding the thread, I'm not a fan of posting ANYthing about your deployment! It's easy to connect the dots when you have more dots. We used to say that we had stuff that was SO SECRET only us and the Soviets knew about it. Good rule: When in doubt, STFU!!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Oldvet you make a very good argument for NOT releasing info except on a "need to know" basis. If the insertion info had been better protected those SEALS would not have had their lives placed in even greater danger than they already were. In just about every war, if you research a little, you can find where leaked info helped prolong the war.
    at least pres. reagan shut down all news with blockade in greanda!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12