Ann Margaret
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ann Margaret

Ann Margaret

While some of the Jane Fonda stories aren't true this Ann Margaret one is.

snopes.com: Ann Margret Thanks Soldiers

Viet Nam 1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam , other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to
    sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.. Ann Margret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, 'I understand. I just wanted her to see it.'

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, 'This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. 'That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,' he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

I have seen notes about this before... I remember how darn good looking Ms A-M was! I was at the Christmas show at Freedom Hill Da Nang December '68. Also that same day, We had to go to see Billy Graham in the morning in order to go See Ann-Margret and Bob Hope in the afternoon. It was all good....
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    I have seen notes about this before... I remember how darn good looking Ms A-M was! I was at the Christmas show at Freedom Hill Da Nang December '68. Also that same day, We had to go to see Billy Graham in the morning in order to go See Ann-Margret and Bob Hope in the afternoon. It was all good....
    Guess you would have had to go a lot farther north to see Hanoi Jane.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    While some of the Jane Fonda stories aren't true this Ann Margaret one is.

snopes.com: Ann Margret Thanks Soldiers

Viet Nam 1966

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam , other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to
    sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.. Ann Margret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, 'I understand. I just wanted her to see it.'

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, 'This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.''

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears. 'That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army,' he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

This is F R E A K I N G awesome .........

Although I did not serve in Nam I did serve aboard the USS Truxton CGN-35 in the Indian Ocean during the Iran issue. Four years ago when I was 46-years-old I was having dinner with my daughters boyfriends parents and they thanked me for serving the USA, first time any one had done that !

Thanks for posting this !

I didn't have to see Graham but did get to see the show, it made the 13 months worth it. Hope your seat was as good as mine. Semper-Fi

I would just like to take a moment to thank all of the vets that I have never met who did what they did for me and everyone else . Without you we wouldn't be what we are now . " Thank You " again for are freedom

Hey I was at that same show - don't remember you (sorry) but do remember how good she looked and the rest of the troop. Ol Bob didn't bring no ugly ladies - that was when entertainers were entertainers.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Vietnam Veteran
    XD 9 MM, XD 40, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 5.25 Custom Canyon Creek 9 mm, XDM 9MM, XDM 40 Canyon Creek XDM Limited, CZ 75B, Ruger MIII, Buckmark, Beretta Neos, CX4 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    Hey I was at that same show - don't remember you (sorry) but do remember how good she looked and the rest of the troop. Ol Bob didn't bring no ugly ladies - that was when entertainers were entertainers.
    W'at, Don't Remember.... I was the good looking guy with the dark tan and short hair... near the front on the right side of the stage...
    Semper Fi

It was Kleenex time for me as I was reading that story...and then the responses of people who had been in the same show now forming up and perhaps thanking God that you are here and survived that war and now communicating with one another. What a great forum!

Thank you to all who had served this country in the time of her need. We surely appreciate the freedom you have afforded to give us because of your service.

"Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Your very Welcome TM...

Tis a pretty cool place
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast