Military/Veteran Discount?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military/Veteran Discount?

Military/Veteran Discount?

I looked to see if this was posted elsewhere and didn't find anything. Where do you shop to receive a military/veteran discount? What places do you patronize? Please feel free to list them all to help out others.

Here are a few businesses we frequent: we get a 10% military/veteran discount at Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts and Murray's Discount Auto Stores auto parts store, now combined as O'Reilly or CSK Auto.

I read that Lowe's gives a discount.

Where else?

Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain sometimes run ads in their flier about Veterans and Military discounts. I shop at these places all the time. However... some store's like these are so high on their prices for Guns, Ammo, and other supplies that the discount doesn't always compare to what you would pay elsewhere.

4. Lowe's 10%. Gotta ask for it, it's not posted anywhere.

Some Home Depot stores will give a 10% discount. lowe's has been giving 10% for several years. Jersey Mike's subs give 10%. The best thing to do is always ask if a business gives a military discount. They sure don't post it anywhere and the only way to find out is to ask.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

6. I routinely get a 10 per cent discount at Lowes and Home Depot by simply showing my ID card. I also get a 10 per cent discount at Advanced Auto Parts and Autozone. Not a full 10% at Orielleys. Show my ID card at Bass Pro and get a full 10%. Also get a full 10% and sometimes more at Harbor Frieght.....depends on the manager. Pleased to see Gander Mountain does the same.

Bottomline is my wife has trained me to ask practially all retailers for a military discount. I bought some Porter Cable nails via the phone, a full box. I asked if they honor a military ID card and they delivered the nails retailing for $72.00 to the door for $46.00. They took my word I was a retired military member. Place yourself in a habit of asking, some day someone you would not expect will give you a discount.

If you are a vet what do you use to prove it, carrying your dd214 is a pain, Is there an ID you can get.
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

Quote Originally Posted by rforgy View Post
    If you are a vet what do you use to prove it, carrying your dd214 is a pain, Is there an ID you can get.
    As an active duty, family member or reservist/national guard member you should have an ID card. Once retired, you will be issued a different ID card indicating that you're retired. Family members of retirees' who still qualify for military benefits (spouses and minor children) will get an ID card as well. I've had most retailers take my word for it. Only about 25% or so actually push the issue and ask to see the ID.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. Quote Originally Posted by rforgy View Post
    Unfortunately, I have not heard of a veterans military discount as a blanket policy with the retailers I afore mentioned. Only active duty, retired and others as Glock Fan posted. However, that would not prevent me from asking. I know in Branson Missouri many retailers honor vets on Veterans day with a discount.

I have not applied, but does not vets registered with VA get some kind of card? Maybe not, I am not sure. I to very rarely have to show my ID card, they normally plug the discount right in when I so state. O'Reillys auto parts is the only retailer I have encountered that ask for the last four on the ID card.
    Last edited by Geezer1; 02-21-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: correct content

When I was in North California, I was given a 10% discount in Lowes, Subway, Quizznos, Shooting Gallery (when it was open) and at times Home Depot and local restaurants.

Now I live in Miami Florida and 10% discounts are as rare as a South Beach woman with no surgical enhancements. So far Lowe's still offers 10% for military but thats it. On a side note, the cops leave me alone when I'm on the highway moving at above posted speed.....I think that's a pretty good discount.
    "Be polite. Be professional. Be prepared to kill."
    LTC John Nagl

One other thing, if you are retired you can get LE discounts for Glock, S&W and Kahr at LE dealers. They must le a LE dealer to get their discount. Other firearms may be eligible for a discount also. I bought a G-33 new in the box for $399 a few years ago.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast