I just got this from DAV re Health Care - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just got this from DAV re Health Care

VA pharmacy

Hi folks,
    My inquiry was to the Clarksburg VA pharmacy. I was not allowed to speak to the pharmacy folks at the VA over the phone. My question for them related to what I suspected was a mistake in medication. The pills I received in the mail were not familiar to me and I have been taking the same meds for six years or so. The bottle was labeled the same as the meds I have been taking for this time frame but the pills were different. I tried to talk with the pharmacy about the difference. I was redirected to another VA rep who was unable to answer medical questions since they were not a medical person. They were only able to refill existing prescriptions. I guessed that they had just changed providers for my meds. Turns out that they were indeed the wrong meds. I stupidly took the new pills and it turned out that a mistake had been made. I couldn't get a private pharmacy to advise me since they did not have my medical records. There is a new policy in effect making it near impossible to speak to a VA pharmacy rep. Because I went ahead, in good faith, and took the pills I ended up in a private hospital with IV meds and had to be intubated and receive other supportive treatment. This will be at my own expense since according to the VA proper treatment was available at the VA. My cost will total over $2ooo.oo which I can ill afford. The new policy came close to being fatal in my case. Again, vets have a PDR handy to check on your meds. I am doing much better now - no thanks to the VA. What progress in Veteran's health care.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by old vet View Post
    On May 4th, 5th, and 6th I was denied access to the Clarksburg, WV pharmacy to speak to someone about an incorrect medicine I was sent. The pills were the wrong size, color, etc. When I tried to speak with someone in t he pharmacy I was redirected to an out of state entity which was staffed with pencilpushers with no medical or medicinal training. Long story short, I was forced to try what they sent. It was not only wrong but also harmful and I spent two days in a private hospital trying to correct the VA's mistake. The damage may well be ongoing or even permanent. Vets, please be careful and have a PDR handy as the VA will no longer allow access to anyone with the knowledge to help.
    Sorry to hear what happened to you. In the past I've been able to talk to the pharmacist at the VA center I use with out much of a problem but, all experiences are different.
    Life Member: USMC_DAV_VVA_MOPH_NRA

Me too

Yes, I got the same letter but I do appreciate the clarification, it helps. I guess the bottom line is that nothing really changes and there's nothing to worry about, for now.
    Life Member: USMC_DAV_VVA_MOPH_NRA

Quote Originally Posted by old vet View Post
    Hi folks,
    My inquiry was to the Clarksburg VA pharmacy. I was not allowed to speak to the pharmacy folks at the VA over the phone. My question for them related to what I suspected was a mistake in medication. The pills I received in the mail were not familiar to me and I have been taking the same meds for six years or so. The bottle was labeled the same as the meds I have been taking for this time frame but the pills were different. I tried to talk with the pharmacy about the difference. I was redirected to another VA rep who was unable to answer medical questions since they were not a medical person. They were only able to refill existing prescriptions. I guessed that they had just changed providers for my meds. Turns out that they were indeed the wrong meds. I stupidly took the new pills and it turned out that a mistake had been made. I couldn't get a private pharmacy to advise me since they did not have my medical records. There is a new policy in effect making it near impossible to speak to a VA pharmacy rep. Because I went ahead, in good faith, and took the pills I ended up in a private hospital with IV meds and had to be intubated and receive other supportive treatment. This will be at my own expense since according to the VA proper treatment was available at the VA. My cost will total over $2ooo.oo which I can ill afford. The new policy came close to being fatal in my case. Again, vets have a PDR handy to check on your meds. I am doing much better now - no thanks to the VA. What progress in Veteran's health care.
    Glad you're okay, old vet. Sorry you had to go through that, and at your own expense no less! It is criminal how you (and others who served our country) are being treated by our government now that your service is over. Congress should ensure that our military heroes receive the best that modern medicine has to offer. That is an entitlement that deserves the financial support of the American taxpayer.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12