Medal of Honor winner John Finn, 100, Dies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medal of Honor winner John Finn, 100, Dies

Medal of Honor winner John Finn, 100, Dies

John Finn

won / earned the CMH for his actions at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 1941 when for over 2 hours he shot a .50 Cal machine gun at Japanese planes and was wounded 21 times during his actions.
    John was the oldest of the 90+ CMH holders

John died today at 100.

NY Times

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

citation

For extraordinary heroism, distinguished service, and devotion above and beyond the call of duty. During the first attack by Japanese airplanes on the Naval Air Station, Kanoehe Bay, on 7 December 1941, Lieutenant Finn promptly secured and manned a 50-caliber machine gun mounted on an instruction stand in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, which was under heavy enemy machine-gun strafing fire. Although painfully wounded many times, he continued to man this gun and to return the enemy's fire vigorously and with telling effect throughout the enemy strafing and bombing attacks and with complete disregard for his own personal safety. It was only by specific orders that he was persuaded to leave his post to seek medical attention. Following first-aid treatment, although obviously suffering much pain and moving with great difficulty, he returned to the squadron area and actively supervised the rearming of returning planes. His extraordinary heroism and conduct in this action were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.[8]

It is due to time that his death has occurred. Death is the constant, how, when, and where are the variables. He survived his wounds and perhaps unknowingly and without thought for self, saved the lives of many others that day.

Over the past few months I have seen and read many entries in the local paper's obituary section with a flag denoting service. Many are veterans of WWII and Korea. It's the duty and responsibility of all of us citizens be you a service veteran or not, who love the freedom provided by and protected by these ordinary "Citizen Soldiers".

Thomas F. O. is a friend that I will be going to visit and honor on Veterans Day. He was one hell of a good cook. Deaf as a door knob (Gunners Mate)...

Great book to read by the way: Amazon.com: Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany (9780684848013): Stephen E. Ambrose: Books

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

5. Rest in peace.

Chief, Fair Winds and Following Seas

I met the Chief Finn April 1st, 1993 at the 100th Anniversary of the CPO at NAS Whidbey Island.

Chief, Fair Winds and Following Seas

Lieutenant Finn, Thank you. I'm glad you got a century of living after giving us a free country in which to grow up.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Mr.Finn

Thank you for all you gave us. I hope that you are now among all our Fallen Heros, and Everyonce in a while please look down on us and make sure we are still doing things right. GOD BLESS YOU

Fair wind's and following sea's.

KK

Blog Entries
    Fair winds and following sea's, Chief. GBU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast