Thank You Operation OverLord Vets!!!

Thread: Thank You Operation OverLord Vets!!!

Thank You Operation OverLord Vets!!!

I don't think we have any on here, and I didn't see any posts but I wanted to remind everyone today is the anniversary of "D" Day..
    I went on a Breast Cancer ride today and we stopped at a gas station on the way. While I was there, I ran into a D-Day Veteran.. He told me a couple of stories and I told him I appreciated his services and then I "Coined" Him.. He couldn't wait to show his wife!!!
    So, Thank you to all the Veterans we DO have on this site and remember a prayer for the remaining WWII vets and their families..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I don't think we have any on here, and I didn't see any posts but I wanted to remind everyone today is the anniversary of "D" Day..
    I went on a Breast Cancer ride today and we stopped at a gas station on the way. While I was there, I ran into a D-Day Veteran.. He told me a couple of stories and I told him I appreciated his services and then I "Coined" Him.. He couldn't wait to show his wife!!!
    So, Thank you to all the Veterans we DO have on this site and remember a prayer for the remaining WWII vets and their families..

Amen...
    I was digging through some boxes in the basement looking for my first-aid and first responder manuals and I found a book that I had read some time ago. I plan to re-read it... I recommend it...

Amazon.com: Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany (9780684848013): Stephen E. Ambrose: Books

I have one family member left alive who is a veteran of D-Day. He jumped and was captured along with a few others due to their missing the correct landing site. He was a POW for most of the operation...

101st Mission
    The US 101st Airborne Division's mission was to secure four exits across the marshland near the coast for the invading US 4th Infantry Division at Utah beach. These causeways needed to be secured because on each side of the exits, it was flooded several feet deep in places. The 101st also were tasked to destroy two bridges over the Douve and to capture the La Barquette lock just north of Carentan. The lock controlled the water height of the flooded areas and it was essential that it be captured.

I saw him last year at a wedding and he seemed in good health. I hope to see him at the lake this summer.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

IF you are not speaking German on a daily basis, you owe thanx to these soldiers..
    (Not to slight the Pacific Soldiers who lived under horrific circumstances as well)

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Amen...
    I was digging through some boxes in the basement looking for my first-aid and first responder manuals and I found a book that I had read some time ago. I plan to re-read it... I recommend it...

Amazon.com: Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany (9780684848013): Stephen E. Ambrose: Books

Peace...
    Thanks for the link, 6shooter. I ordered one for my Dad for Father's Day. He's a 94 year old WWII veteran and he loves to read. I know that this will be the perfect gift for him! Again, thank you for helping to make an "old soldier's" Father's Day special and enabling his daughter to do it.

Dad was an infantryman and served under General Patton. He was selected to be among the soldiers present at the raising of the American flag at Berchtesgaden, Germany (the location of Hitler's Eagle's Nest retreat). I was actually able to find the photo online several years ago, had it framed and presented it to him on his 90th birthday. He was surprised to see that picture and he was even more surprised that I could pick him out in the columns of soldiers all dressed alike! That's a moment that Dad and I will each carry into eternity.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Thanks for the link, 6shooter. I ordered one for my Dad for Father's Day. He's a 94 year old WWII veteran and he loves to read. I know that this will be the perfect gift for him! Again, thank you for helping to make an "old soldier's" Father's Day special and enabling his daughter to do it.

Dad was an infantryman and served under General Patton. He was selected to be among the soldiers present at the raising of the American flag at Berchtesgaden, Germany (the location of Hitler's Eagle's Nest retreat). I was actually able to find the photo online several years ago, had it framed and presented it to him on his 90th birthday. He was surprised to see that picture and he was even more surprised that I could pick him out in the columns of soldiers all dressed alike! That's a moment that Dad and I will each carry into eternity.
    The book is written well and is told from both US and German perspective. I don't know all of the guys in the book obviously, but from the way the stories are told I felt as though I was listening to them speaking.

Dad was in Patton's Army. Very cool. He must be proud of that... I think he'll like the book. Tell him Happy Father's Day from 6shooter.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..