Family saddened when Honor Guard did not show for Funeral of WWII vet. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family saddened when Honor Guard did not show for Funeral of WWII vet.

wolfhunter Guest
    Kathleen, I can only extend my sympathies to you and your extended family.

3. I wish there was something we could do to help. Hearing of this situation saddens me greatly.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

As a DAV myself I just want to see that other Vets that desires an Honor Guard has one. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

When my Brother-in-law's father died the funeral home contacted the military about an honor guard and was told that there was not one available. Since he was not only a WWII vet but was also nominated for the Medal of Honor but did not receive it due to the paperwork getting lost they were very upset. A friend of the family called Strom Thurmond's office and explained the situation. Within an hour the family received a call wanting to know when and where the funeral was to be held.

He was the tail gunner on a B-17 where the entire crew was either killed or wounded and unable to respond except for him. He reached the controls and was able to bring the plane back in by being talked down over the radio. He was later shot down and taken prisoner by the Germans. If anyone deserved a military funeral it was him. His story has been written up in several publications including Guideposts.

I understand we were told they would be there. Then they just did not show. Many letters to be written and call to be made when things settle down. Making a scene at the grave side was not an option. Praying that no one else goes through this.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
    I understand we were told they would be there. Then they just did not show. Many letters to be written and call to be made when things settle down. Making a scene at the grave side was not an option. Praying that no one else goes through this.
    I am saddened by this heartbreaking scenario, Kathleen. Thank you for taking the time to let us know what happened and giving us a "heads up". Although I know that the mistake can never be undone, I pray that this brave soldier's family is afforded some form of satisfaction to ease their avoidable and unnecessary anguish.

My Dad is 93 yrs. old, a WWII veteran who served under Patton. I recently asked Dad if he wanted to be buried in his uniform (it still fits him) and he was so pleased that I would even think of that!

It goes without saying that I want an Honor Guard at Dad's funeral and now I know how to assure that it happens. Thanks to everyone who submitted info to this thread. are the best!!!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12