Family saddened when Honor Guard did not show for Funeral of WWII vet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Family saddened when Honor Guard did not show for Funeral of WWII vet.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    226

    Family saddened when Honor Guard did not show for Funeral of WWII vet.

    A dear friend and father of my daughter-in-law was buried on Monday July 5th. He will be sadly missed by all. This one request for his funeral was for a full military funeral. When we arrived at the cemetery the Honor Guard was no where to be found. Our whole family is in shock and we are wondering who to contact about the situation so no other family finds themselves in this situation.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
    A dear friend and father of my daughter-in-law was buried on Monday July 5th. He will be sadly missed by all. This one request for his funeral was for a full military funeral. When we arrived at the cemetery the Honor Guard was no where to be found. Our whole family is in shock and we are wondering who to contact about the situation so no other family finds themselves in this situation.
    What I do know is that the command in charge of ALL funeral honor guards is at FT. Drum. I dont know how much that helps... but I tried.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

  4. #3
    First get ahold of the funeral director and ask who they contacted to request an honor guard then follow up from there. There is a line in PA. where fort Drum is no longer responsible if it turns out it was Ft. Drum call (315) 772-6324 That will get you in touch with the Mountain Operations Center (MOC) let them know what happened and they will get you action. They can also get you contact info for any element that was responsible for that area in the event that it was not Drum.

    Please understand that the military takes this seriously and will find the cause of the problem and someones head will roll!

    My sincere condolences for your loss

  5. Firing Squad

    Heres the way it works in my town. I have been a member of the American Legion Firing Squad for 20 years and and will give you the protocol. In our area any Veteran is eligible for a military funeral whether or not he(she) is a member of a veterans unit or not Each funeral director in our county automatically asks the bereaved family if the deceased member was in the military. When a soldier is relieved of active duty he is given a form 4473 which he is given to prove his service and is a permanent record of said activity. Whereever he lives for the rest of his life a copy of that document should be kept on file in the office of the County Service Officer(Theres one of these in every county in the U.S.. The original 4473 should be kept with all important papers, iwe social security card,etc. If a family answers yes to the directors inquiry and requests military rites, they will be given free of charge at the grave site. If Poll bearers are requested they will also be provided. In our area this work is done by combined members of American Legion, VFW, And Amvets. Words are said, volleys are fired and the coffin flag is folded and presented to the designited family member.A bugler plays TAPS.

    Not all areas of the country are as dedicated as we are, but if you are not asked by the funeral director, please contact the nearest American Legion Post, Amvets or VFW or County Service Officer and you will be satisfactorily helped. Hope this helps you and any other local citizens with Veteran Family members.

    Raymond Fretz--Life member American Legion and Amvets

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    Heres the way it works in my town. I have been a member of the American Legion Firing Squad for 20 years and and will give you the protocol. In our area any Veteran is eligible for a military funeral whether or not he(she) is a member of a veterans unit or not Each funeral director in our county automatically asks the bereaved family if the deceased member was in the military. When a soldier is relieved of active duty he is given a form 4473 which he is given to prove his service and is a permanent record of said activity. Whereever he lives for the rest of his life a copy of that document should be kept on file in the office of the County Service Officer(Theres one of these in every county in the U.S.. The original 4473 should be kept with all important papers, iwe social security card,etc. If a family answers yes to the directors inquiry and requests military rites, they will be given free of charge at the grave site. If Poll bearers are requested they will also be provided. In our area this work is done by combined members of American Legion, VFW, And Amvets. Words are said, volleys are fired and the coffin flag is folded and presented to the designited family member.A bugler plays TAPS.

    Not all areas of the country are as dedicated as we are, but if you are not asked by the funeral director, please contact the nearest American Legion Post, Amvets or VFW or County Service Officer and you will be satisfactorily helped. Hope this helps you and any other local citizens with Veteran Family members.

    Raymond Fretz--Life member American Legion and Amvets
    I got my honorable discharge in 1972 from the army and as far as I know the form then was a DD form 214 that showed my service record from the time I joined till my release from Uncle Sams army. Maybe that is the new form they use but to those before me including WWII, because my father just passed a few years back, and his was a DD 214....
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

  7. Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    Heres the way it works in my town. I have been a member of the American Legion Firing Squad for 20 years and and will give you the protocol. In our area any Veteran is eligible for a military funeral whether or not he(she) is a member of a veterans unit or not Each funeral director in our county automatically asks the bereaved family if the deceased member was in the military. When a soldier is relieved of active duty he is given a form 4473 which he is given to prove his service and is a permanent record of said activity. Whereever he lives for the rest of his life a copy of that document should be kept on file in the office of the County Service Officer(Theres one of these in every county in the U.S.. The original 4473 should be kept with all important papers, iwe social security card,etc. If a family answers yes to the directors inquiry and requests military rites, they will be given free of charge at the grave site. If Poll bearers are requested they will also be provided. In our area this work is done by combined members of American Legion, VFW, And Amvets. Words are said, volleys are fired and the coffin flag is folded and presented to the designited family member.A bugler plays TAPS.

    Not all areas of the country are as dedicated as we are, but if you are not asked by the funeral director, please contact the nearest American Legion Post, Amvets or VFW or County Service Officer and you will be satisfactorily helped. Hope this helps you and any other local citizens with Veteran Family members.

    Raymond Fretz--Life member American Legion and Amvets
    There is no DD or DA form 4473. There is however an ATF form 4473, It is the yellow form we fill out at the gun shop to purchase a firearm.

    What does the ATF's firearm purchase form have to do with a military funeral?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    There is no DD or DA form 4473. There is however an ATF form 4473, It is the yellow form we fill out at the gun shop to purchase a firearm.

    What does the ATF's firearm purchase form have to do with a military funeral?
    I thought that he was mistaken about that. I did not think that the Goverment had changed from the DD214.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

  9. #8
    I got only a DD214 when I mustered out of the Air Force, and that is the only form you'll ever be asked for to prove military service.
    -= Piece Corps =-

  10. #9
    wolfhunter Guest
    OK, NRA UR2 mentioned the wrong form.

    Let's not get sidetracked from the OP. A WWII vet was not properly honored with a military funeral. Why, and what can be done at this point to pay respect to him?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    OK, NRA UR2 mentioned the wrong form.

    Let's not get sidetracked from the OP. A WWII vet was not properly honored with a military funeral. Why, and what can be done at this point to pay respect to him?
    Thank you. We had all the proper paperwork. The funeral home made the arrangements as they have done for many WWII Vets in the past. The hardest part was when the hearse drivers came over and removed the American Flag from the casket. It would have had more meaning if our grandsons that are Boy Scouts had worn their uniforms and then folded the Flag. More dignified at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WWII vet ordered to remove flag from his home!!!
    By festus in forum Military & Veterans
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
  2. SHOT Show Signals Positive Start for Firearms Industry in 2009
    By lukem in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast