Trip to the VA ER.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip to the VA ER.

Trip to the VA ER.

As a DAV my health care is from the VA. Today my asthma went out of control and I needed to go into Oakland, PA. They were able to take me right in. Checked for possible other reasons from my problem breathing and were really attentive to my situation.
    Sure it was an all day thing but if I had gone to a public ER it would have been just as long and not as caring. Am now on steroids for 20+ days and know if there are problems I can go back. I do understand LOL that when someone jokes with you when you are coughing your cough gets worse. Laughter is part of good medicine.

Been trying to get someone to answer the phone at the VA clinic. Three days and only the computer answers tells me to call back later. (the option #5 to have the front desk answer just switches to another computer that tells the phone # of the clinic already called and around and around it goes) Anyone have problems getting through to the clinics?
    Problem is not worthy of 911 but sure needs to be addressed soon.

PRO-LIFE FROM CONCEPTION TO NATURAL DEATH
    TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN. HOLY BIBLE]

This problem is not only in the VA in PA but out West as Well. As a Paramedic with my community Volunteer Ambulance we frequently transport Veterans to the Ft. Harrison VA Hospital (Helena Montana) and we are required to call ahead for permission to transport to the VA. This is always a problem as they have a menu and even if you do get a Human being they usually put us on hold. If we have already started transport The Cell Phone coverage is so bad in Western Montana that you are sure to loose signal before anyone comes to the phone. Any serious condition or trauma and we are always diverted to a civilian ER. The problem is that the VA is still suffering from DECADES of staff and budget cuts. I've listened to the MT Senators and Congressman tell the public about all the improvements to the VA system but you don't need the guy from "Lie to Me" to spot the deception.

Veteran's Hospitals

I'm a Vet and I drive for a Veteran who needs rides to our "local" VA Hospital about 2 hours away. The Vermont VA Hospital is fairly good, but we have the same problems with phone contact most of the time. When we were in the military is was hurry up and wait. I never expect that to change, it's the nature of the beast.

I managed to get into the VA system in Denver after jumping through all the hoops, paperwork, etc. I'm rated at 40%, pri 2. Two months and a couple phone calls later finally learned I was never scheduled for an appointment. Just "slipped through the cracks" somehow. Finally got the appointment (another month) and decided to cancel it, because by then I really just did't feel comforable trusting my health care to them. The guy I talked to warned me I would have to go back on the waiting list to reschedule. I responded, don't worry, no problem, thanks, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by 44WCF View Post
    I'm a Vet and I drive for a Veteran who needs rides to our "local" VA Hospital about 2 hours away. The Vermont VA Hospital is fairly good, but we have the same problems with phone contact most of the time. When we were in the military is was hurry up and wait. I never expect that to change, it's the nature of the beast.
    I would be ok if there was an option to leave a message and they will contact you when someone was available. (this is my view of hurry up and wait) No option to get a human being to help should never be acceptable.

TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN. HOLY BIBLE]

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
    I would be ok if there was an option to leave a message and they will contact you when someone was available. (this is my view of hurry up and wait) No option to get a human being to help should never be acceptable.
    Agreed.... I just retired from the VA...

Contact the regional call center at 1-800-827-1000.... ask for a supervisor, and tell 'em what's goin' on. Hopefully, they'll be able to assist.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Agreed.... I just retired from the VA...

Contact the regional call center at 1-800-827-1000.... ask for a supervisor, and tell 'em what's goin' on. Hopefully, they'll be able to assist.
    Thank you. I will do this on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by KathleenElsie View Post
    We have that option here in SC. The problem is they may take two to three days to call you back if ever. First you have to talk to a nurse and wait for them to call back then they send an email to the Dr and you have to wait for their nurse to call you back. By then your problem has either gone away or you're dead.

Now appointments are my pet peeve! It takes a minimum of one month to get an appointment. My last four month primary care appointment took six months to get one. They send a card in the mail for me to make an appointment. It's usually sent two weeks prior to the time you need to see the Dr. They sent me my card and when I called they only had an opening available two months later.

General care is not too bad but any major problems I go to an outside Dr. I have Tricare for Life and Medicare so I'm pretty well covered. The problem with major care with the VA is they are a teaching facility. When you have surgery you are a guinea pig! Residents do the surgeries and problems do arise. My first hand experience has taught me not to go that route again.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

DAV-VA medical coverage. Private won't take me and now that my husband is on Medicare we don't have company medical any longer. Till I am 65 in two years this is my only choice LOL. Wish there was an add on that those of us with service connected care could purchase something like the Medicare advantage. My only choice is the VA-ER or ergi-care at $119 a visit, then a 40 mile round trip to get prescriptions filled in Oakland.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast