CC permits and OTH discharges - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CC permits and OTH discharges

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    NC will not issue a ccw for anything other than a honorable discharge. They also will not issue because of mental illness or heavy drinking. So if you drink or have been diagnosed with PTSD, your Screwed. Your 2nd amendment rights are no longer worth wiping your ass with.
    That is exactly right "TooCalm", I remember both of those questions on my CCW Application when I applied for mine, of course, neither applied to me and I was issued my permit 10 working days later.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Issues with DADT discharges.

Let's not forget the issues with discharges under the "Don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue" policy. Run afoul with this misnamed policy and a court martial may be in your future. This policy is also misused in a blatantly sexist discriminatory manor against women in the services. Apparently a common tactic taken by some lesser men is to use the DADT policy to retaliate against women who deny their sexual advances, file sexual harassment claims, or assist in other sexual harassment investigations.

So if a woman runs afoul with the DADT policy because she filed a sexual harassment claim and gets kicked out of the military, we should further violate her by denying her her second amendment rights?!?

(Please note the deliberate double entendre in the use of the word violate.)

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Let\'s not forget the issues with discharges under the \"Don\'t ask, don\'t tell, don\'t pursue\" policy. Run afoul with this misnamed policy and a court martial may be in your future. This policy is also misused in a blatantly sexist discriminatory manor against women in the services. Apparently a common tactic taken by some lesser men is to use the DADT policy to retaliate against women who deny their sexual advances, file sexual harassment claims, or assist in other sexual harassment investigations.

So if a woman runs afoul with the DADT policy because she filed a sexual harassment claim and gets kicked out of the military, we should further violate her by denying her her second amendment rights?!?

(Please note the deliberate double entendre in the use of the word violate.)
    I was under the impression that people who were caught or confessed being lesbians or homosexuals received a LTH.
    Are you saying G50 that the don\'t ask don\'t tell is used as a weapon against women who turn down advances from men? It wouldnt suprise me in the least.
    IMHO there should be no policy against gays in the military. I am secure enough in my sexuality to say so. I do not fear gays. Gays don\'t recruit. They do not have to. Our military will not fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by mullet View Post
    Are you saying G50 that the don\'t ask don\'t tell is used as a weapon against women who turn down advances from men? It wouldnt suprise me in the least.
    That's G50AE to you, thank you very much.
    And yes that's exactly what I am saying.

I do not really see this as being an issue, military law is a lot fairer than civilian law. You really have to screw up not to get an honorable, OTH is a six month wait and you can get it changed to an honorable.

I see where PA has the question:

HAVE YOU EVER RECEIVED A DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE FROM THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES?
    But I don't see where an OTH discharge is a prohibition.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I see where PA has the question:

But I don't see where an OTH discharge is a prohibition.
    It is in Louisiana. And apparently in NC.

I have gotten around to filling out the DD-293, Review of Discharge, to send in to the Naval Review Board. See if I can get an upgrade to General Discharge. I will post the results when I hear back from them. In the meantime I can still CC here in LA with my FL non-res permit until August 2011.

Good luck, I sugest hiring a lawyer who has experience working with the Un-Constitutional Military inJustice system (UCMJ). UCMJ is alot different than the civilian legal system which confines itself within the restraints of the constitutional framework.

In Montgomery County, Alabama, the application for a CCW license does not ask about military service. The application will be checked by the MCSO and MPD. Unless something comes up in the applicant's background, there shouldn't be any problems. As far as I know, there is no mention of character of military discharges in our laws. "Theicemanmpls" gave a fine thumbnail sketch of ther rules of enlisted separations from the services. Some people seem to think that the character of one's discharge is a small matter. WRONG! I spent over 23 years in the service and never saw any type of separation, other than honorable, given out lightly. Generally, one had to screw up pretty bad to receive anything other than an honorable rating. I can't feel sorry for anyone who received an OTH discharge. They should do some soul searching and own up to their indescretions. That said, however, I don't think that should preclude a CCW in all cases.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    That said, however, I don't think that [OTH discharge] should preclude a CCW in all cases.
    It does in Louisiana. anythingbesides honorable or general is an automatic denial of CCW permit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast