Justices hear case of disturbances at military funerals
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justices hear case of disturbances at military funerals

Thumbs down Justices hear case of disturbances at military funerals

Justices hear case of anti-gay protests at military funerals - CNN.com

Some people just don't have an iota of respect for the heros who have died to preserve this great nation of ours. This group also protested at Fred Rodgers's funeral. Yes that's right, even lovable old Mr. Rodgers isn't immune to attack from these knuckleheads.

Sounds like the idoits get control of this country doesnt it? Im suprised something hasnt been done about these yahoos years ago.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Sounds like the idoits get control of this country doesnt it? Im suprised something hasnt been done about these yahoos years ago.
    I'd tell you how I realy feel about Fred Phelps and his knuckleheaded "church", but the language filter would shut down half of the posting and I'd probably get banned from the forums.

Guess it just real fortunate that they have not protested near me. I would be in fear for their safety I think. My son (Pathfinder) and nephew (SF) will never have their funerals disgraced should something happen to them as they serve the nation. One of my best friends had a "bouncing betty" nearly take him out in VN. He has had 27 operations and is dying from cancer that probably was caused from "agent orange". Some one will have to insure their safety should they show up at his funeral.

I agree that this group should not be allowed to protest a military funeral, or any other funeral for that matter. That being said, remember that preventing them from doing so is admitting that the right of free speech doesn't mean you can say what ever you want, when ever you want, where ever you want. There are many that believe that's the case and I have stated many times it's not. All rights are limited to some extent and come with great responsibility. When I say limited I mean a right ends when it diminishes the rights of others.
    Last edited by ronwill; 10-09-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I agree that this group should not be allowed to protest a military funeral, or any other funeral for that matter. That being said, remember that preventing them from doing so is admitting that the right of free speech doesn't mean you can say what ever you want, when ever you want, where ever you want. There are many that believe that's the case and I have stated many times it's not. All rights are limited to some extent and come with great responsibility. When I say limited I mean a right ends when it diminishes the rights of others.
    +1, and obvious to the most casual observer.

Liberal progressives have slowly turned this country into what it is today. Doesn't mater if they are democrat or republican. If you want more of this by all means keep them in office. If not get out in November and vote for some reel change. It's not going to happen with one election cycle. There is a lot of trash that needs to be dealt with. Hopefully it can be a start.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Love Freedom, Thank a Veteran!

I had to say something positive on this thread that admittedly I started off on a negative tone.

Love freedom, Thank a veteran!

I am glad that these "people" did not show up at my friend Captain Mark N. Stubenhofer's funeral. I do not want to think about how insulted I would have been had that happened.

They certainly have the right to voice their opinions and that right is to be respected. However, should someone spit in someone's face repeatedly they might drop their sign and take a swing at the spitter. Then one would not have to be concerned about free speech or their right to peacefully assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Islander is right but there is probably a way to stop them without restricting free speech. Remember, speech meant to incide violence or panic (yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater is the classic example) is not protected. I would argue that Fred Phelps gang of idiots is trying to do just that - incite violence to get a reaction and media coverage.

What I REALLY want to know is why hasn't the Baptist church gone after this group for calling themselves Baptist? I don't know if they could do it through the legal system but they could skewer this bunch in the media. I would, if for no other reason than to distance myself from them in people's minds.

Great quote on this bunch from a comments section of one of the articles about them:
    "The range of a Barret M82 Sniper Rifle is 2500 yards. The protesters would be well advised to remember this."

correction - that's 2500 YARDS, not feet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast