I hate to hear that about you grandfather. I had a great-granduncle that was gassed during WWI. He never really recovered from it and died a relatively young man.
My wife worked in a nursing home and a WWI vet was one of her patients in the early 90's. She said that he would cry and try to hide during thunderstorms. She said she spent as much time as she could to comfort him.

I cannot imagine being shelled continually while taking shelter knee deep in trench mud. What is even more horrifying is when the gas shells came in and you had to leave your trench and get into the open because the gas would sink in the trenches and your canvas mask couldn't keep it all out.

I am only 39, but I had the privilege to talk to a few WWI vets. Most vets I have known were from WWII. They were never graphic and mostly told colorful and humorous strories. As I have gotten older and learned a little more, I realize they didn't want other people to know the true horrors they faced. All those old vets have always been my heroes.

We as a nation are going to miss the WWI generation. They are gone, I just hope we have learned some lessons from them.

Rest in peace Mr. Buckles. Many thanks to you and your comrades who kept us free.