Last WW I US Vet dies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last WW I US Vet dies.

Last WW I US Vet dies.

At age 110 in WV. Story on him from last year.

I saw that on Fox News this morning. It brought back memories of my Grandfather that died in 1970. He lost a lung due Gas in WWI but never slowed down until the day he died. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/28...-w-va-age-110/

Maybe something good will come from this. New Calls for WWI Memorial as Washington Reacts to the Passing of Frank Buckles - FoxNews.com

RIP Frank!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

handgonnetoter Guest
    Man, that sucks. I was watching the last episode of "The Pacific" last night, I have them on DVD, and was amazed at how few WW2 vets are left too. My Dad was a WW2 vet, but he died back in 1992. Our society looses somthing when we loose people like them.

My grandfather also was gassed in WW 1 as a Sgt. He died in 1939 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after getting a notice that he was being called back to active duty and promoted to First LT.

I would say that most American's outside of historians and war buffs would not even know what the conflict was about, where it took place, or how an entire generation of young men were all but obliterated. It is all but forgotten.
    I have had the privilege of speaking at length with veterans of WW1. 3 family members were combatants on the Western Front - all were wounded but all survived. My service in south Asia was nothing compared to what these soldiers, sailors, and airmen experienced. I salute these men... a break in history has taken place with the passing of the last veteran of this, the Great War.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    My grandfather also was gassed in WW 1 as a Sgt. He died in 1939 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after getting a notice that he was being called back to active duty and promoted to First LT.
    What? Thats incredible! Sorry to hear about that.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    If nothing else gives you an idea of how bad WWI was, that should do it
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If nothing else gives you an idea of how bad WWI was, that should do it
    That was his point. He could not take the thought of training and then sending all the younger folks off to a war like he had gone thru and suffered from for 21 years there after. About half his life as he died 3 days before his 43rd birthday.

Missed this but think it's important.
    http://davegranlund.com/cartoons/wp-...es-wwi-vet.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast