Retirement Overhaul scares me - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement Overhaul scares me

1. I was in the Navy from 75 - 96, retiring with 20+ years of active duty. the last 10 I was a Navy Counselor and saw some of the changes in retirement - even back then. I think when I retired there were actually 3 different retirement 'systems' out there (for lack of a better term...) So don't say it can't happen -- it can, and HAS changed over the years.

Although, I agree with those who say that this 'drastic' of a change is not as likely....I certainly hope it doesn't happen - our vets deserve better!

3. It is my firm believe that our government should keep faith with the Veterans that have faithfully served and protected our Nation. I know exactly where to get the money we are lacking and so desperately need: Cut it from foreign aid and from the welfare system that is so widely abused, specially in our inner cities. That should make up for a big chunk of our budget deficit.

Any govermental retirement system whether it is federal, state, military, social security etc. are all politically driven due to the whims of the public with little actual knowledge of what the effect will be either good or bad. The primary problem with social security is not the amount that the retirees get or the actual number of retirees but rather the very large number that draw the maximum benefits and paying the minimum in. Under current rules it is possible and likely that a person who pays in the the SS system for five years or sometimes less can retire and their benefits are higher than someone in the same pay bracket who has paid in for 45 years.

I know of one man that retired and his first check was more than the total sum that he had paid in for his entire life. Not only that but he had several children that were as young as 18 months old that continued to receive payments until they were 21.

Cuts should and need to be made but everytime they start talking about cuts they look at the wrong places to be cutting. In SC a few year ago the legislature got all carried away about how much the TERI program was costing. Several studies proved that not only did the TERI program not cost extra but the State actually made money off of the program. The entire justification for trying to do away with the program had nothing to do at all with the retirees but with other problems created by the legislature and absolutely nothing was done about them.

Hometown Medical Care

Currently America's Service-Connected Disabled Veterans are forced to travel distances greater than 100 miles from their homes to receive less than adequate medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals for the treatment of their Service-Connected Disabilities. Not only that but whenever a Veteran's Service-Connected Disability and/or Condition requires extended hospitalization their friends and family are unable to visit them or stay with them during their ordeal.

Hometown Medical Care will grant America's Service-Connected Veterans their RIGHT to chose their medical providers from within their own home communities. Then whenever a Service-Connected Veteran's disability and/or Condition requires an extended stay in a hospital they will be hospitalized in a local hospital where their friends and family are able to visit them and when necessary stay with them.

My name is Jim Hayden and I AM the next American President
    Jim Hayden for President 2012

Hey Top I must disagree.

I was retired in 1974 with a medical disability. I was injured while on the job and was released with 30%. Now having said that during the Carter years all Veterans with a 100% Service-Connected Disability had their disability checks stopped and had to refile claims and prove that their injuries were Service-Connected. Most of them were World War II Combat Veterans whose medical records if available were written in German. The Japs didn't keep any medical records on our POWS as most died under questionable circumstances. Then under Reagan the Democrats flexed their muscles again by reducing the number of new claims allowed through the VA's Adjudications system. At that time if a Veteran did not have a Service-Connected Disability rating they could NOT get any medical care from the VA for their Service-Connected Disabilities and/or conditions. Then under Clinton the Democrats upgraded the Veterans Administration to the Department of Veterans Affairs while adding yet another administrative hearing board to the already far too complex Department's Adjudications system. This meant fewer Veterans could get their badly needed medical care for their Service-Connected Disabilities and conditions. Then again while slick willy was in office the Democrats offered our Combat Veterans what they called 100% Unplayability and opened the Department's Medical Centers up to all Veterans regardless of disability as long as they had private health insurance or were Service-Connected Disabled. Now those silly Democrats have gone and done it again. Under Obama a widow/widower of a 100% Service-Connected Veteran is no longer eligible to receive his or her survivors pension once his or her 100% Service-Connected spouse dies.

So yes this is a very real concern and YES we must unite to end this travesty of justice.

Jim Hayden for President in 2012
    Jim Hayden for President 2012

They are already trying to double the price retirees pay for tri care. I can remember them telling me many years ago that you were garenteed to have heath care for the rest of your life. So welfare gets Obama Care and more of our retirement taken to pay for work related issues!

Many, many years ago there was an anti-war commercial on TV. If I remember right, there were 2 old farts in suits in a field that were getting ready for a fist fight. The message was "what if they threw a war and nobody showed up?" or close to that. If the politicians end up making major changes to military pay, benefits(again), and retirement we just might find out the answer to that question. Then this country will be truely screwed!
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12