What is a Vet? From Anonymous - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a Vet? From Anonymous

As mentioned above...

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

This statement, more than any other, exemplifies the obligation, the risk, and the heartache attached to those that made that commitment. They ask only for respect, and an occassional "thanks".

Thank you to those that wrote that check and are still around. My prayers go to those that wrote that check and are not.

Kindest Regards from a new guy.

3. I'm a veteran. I spent a year in theater, but not in country, during Vietnam. I'm no hero. Not even close. Never did a heroic thing in my life, but...I was honored to serve in the company of heroes, and to spend 3 years on the honor guard, providing full military honors to those who perished in that awful pit called Vietnam. And in 1973, as I was casually strolling the flightline at CCK Air Base, I asked a mechanic friend what that strangely painted C-130 at the far end of the tarmac was. He said I should forget I ever saw it. That aircraft, and others like it from the 374th TAW flew, unarmed, into Gia Lam airport in Hanoi, and REAL heroes prepped the field with nav-aids for C-141's soon to arrive to repatriate our POW's. I'm a veteran, a witness, but surely my humble desk job in combat support was no match for the aircrew and combat air controllers who were the first Americans to land in North Vietnam without having been shot down. I remain, to this day, humbled by the devotion to Duty, Honor, Country, and Comrades in Arms that I saw. Those were heroics of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by WOP2 View Post
    I'm a veteran. I spent a year in theater, but not in country, during Vietnam. I'm no hero. Not even close. Never did a heroic thing in my life, but...I was honored to serve in the company of heroes, and to spend 3 years on the honor guard, providing full military honors to those who perished in that awful pit called Vietnam. And in 1973, as I was casually strolling the flightline at CCK Air Base, I asked a mechanic friend what that strangely painted C-130 at the far end of the tarmac was. He said I should forget I ever saw it. That aircraft, and others like it from the 374th TAW flew, unarmed, into Gia Lam airport in Hanoi, and REAL heroes prepped the field with nav-aids for C-141's soon to arrive to repatriate our POW's. I'm a veteran, a witness, but surely my humble desk job in combat support was no match for the aircrew and combat air controllers who were the first Americans to land in North Vietnam without having been shot down. I remain, to this day, humbled by the devotion to Duty, Honor, Country, and Comrades in Arms that I saw. Those were heroics of the first order.
    Why is it that most people, like you for instance...never think much of your job because you worked at the desk? You are a hero too because you worked for the military. Without the desk job people, do you think things will move better without management of paper works? Tell me.

No matter what you did when you were in the military, thank you for your service. We cannot just let all those Rambos out yelling profanities to one another and the enemies without the help of desk job people in combat support...remember that. Not because you didn't participate in action, you are the forgotten one.

I am glad you are out of it now and still in one piece. Peace be to you.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Some people need to talk about it. It is therapy. And from the deepest part of my heart, thank you for your service.
    Some need to talk about it because of what they saw or had to do while serving. Others cannot talk about it because of what they saw or what they did while in. And as you pointed out, without people doing paperwork, the beans and bullets might not have gotten to where they were needed.

And as today is Pearl Harbor Day, Thank a WW II vet today as they are the oldest US vets still alive but disappearing fast.

6. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' Big Will USMC 1970 - 1972 Bravo Co. 3rd reg. 3rd Battalion Icorps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12