What is a Vet? From Anonymous
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Vet? From Anonymous

What is a Vet? From Anonymous

This came to me via an email for another gun group. Thanks to Tim from USCCA I thought it was well worth passing on.

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a Jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, A piece of shrapnel in the leg or perhaps another sort of inner steel: The soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe Wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Danang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor remains unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket, aggravatingly slow, who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a Soldier, Marine, Sailor or Airman, and also a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember each time you see someone who has served our country. When you see one just lean over and say Thank You.

That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

God Bless Our Veterans!

Anonymous.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

He is the Reservist who signed up during Desert Storm. And though that war was over before he completed his AIT, he stood ready for the next 8 years while getting his college degree. He held his breath as the fighting flared up in Bosnia and Somalia, wondering if the call would come. It never did, and he received his honorable discharge just before the turn of the century, just a few years before the world as we knew it changed.

Later he would learn that his old unit was called up in 2003, to see combat for the first time since being downgraded from an active to reserve unit just after WWII, and was the tip of the spear as we went into Baghdad.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Walt629,
    As stated there are many explanations on what a Veteran is.
    For myself, it's the self pride I carry inside. I only tell someone I'm a veteran, if asked.I never offer any Special Stories about my time in the service.

Over American History, there have been many Men/Women that have given the Ultimate Sacrafice. So that Every American has the CHOICE to live free,Practise whatevet Religion they want,Speak whats on thier mind, and the list goes on.

I have met way to many poeple that always talk about thier WAR Stories, how they killed poeple, been shot several times etc,etc. I find these poeple Replusive, they no not, the True meaning of being an American Veteran.

The US Military does not, nor ever has trained Poeple to brag about thier time in the Service.Most Proud Veterans Will not Brag.

You keep your true feelings, As memories within yourself. You Honor fallen Heros (Vetrans) Every Day by saying a small Soliders Pray. And keeping the Pride of being an Veteran Alive.

I've seen this poem a few times with the author listed as Father Denis Edward O'Brien/USMC.

What is a Veteran?
    I got a fever! And the only prescription… is more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Walt629,
    As stated there are many explanations on what a Veteran is.
    For myself, it's the self pride I carry inside. I only tell someone I'm a veteran, if asked.I never offer any Special Stories about my time in the service.

Over American History, there have been many Men/Women that have given the Ultimate Sacrafice. So that Every American has the CHOICE to live free,Practise whatevet Religion they want,Speak whats on thier mind, and the list goes on.

I have met way to many poeple that always talk about thier WAR Stories, how they killed poeple, been shot several times etc,etc. I find these poeple Replusive, they no not, the True meaning of being an American Veteran.

The US Military does not, nor ever has trained Poeple to brag about thier time in the Service.Most Proud Veterans Will not Brag.

You keep your true feelings, As memories within yourself. You Honor fallen Heros (Vetrans) Every Day by saying a small Soliders Pray. And keeping the Pride of being an Veteran Alive.
    Some people need to talk about it. It is therapy. And from the deepest part of my heart, thank you for your service.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Tucker's Mom,

Thank you for taking the time to thank me.I will pass the thanks to all my Brothers/Sisters at my VFW Post.

I'm positive they will all Appreciate those kind words. That's all Vetetans want, Is those two simple little words (Thank You)

We have a restraunt here in town that has a wall dedicated to Vets. It has pictures of the Vets past and present that either live here or have a connection to this area. Stop in and check it out. It's pretty cool. The business is owned by a French Canadian. He started the Wall of Honor after observing a uniformed soldier being chastized by some dirt bag. He was deeply offended and let the dirt bag know it. I'm not a Vet but I have two children that are currently serving, couldn't be prouder. They are pictured on the wall at Mom's Snack Shack.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

I always felt that this described what a Vet is. Obviously, you can change the country.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

War or Peace; you served, you are a Veteran. That "check" does not need to be cashed in any way for you rate the distinction. I do not feel honored to be a Vet, I feel honored that so many others were willing to write that check to defend me and my family and that I was blessed to have served with you.
    Security is your concern. Helping you provide it is ours.
    www.oramsecurity.com
    USMC Scout Snipers - Stealth, Silence, Precision Violence

Quote Originally Posted by Oram Security Consultants View Post
    I always felt that this described what a Vet is. Obviously, you can change the country.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

War or Peace; you served, you are a Veteran. That "check" does not need to be cashed in any way for you rate the distinction. I do not feel honored to be a Vet, I feel honored that so many others were willing to write that check to defend me and my family and that I was blessed to have served with you...
    Wow, small world seeing you here...

SIW forum is a bit tiresome these days...

Oath Keepers

Check out Oath Keepers at
    www.oathkeepers.org

Prior service, retired, active duty, reservist, police, firefighter.
    Those who took the oath to defend the constitution against threats foreign and domestic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast