apparently you can be court martialed for talking about God

Thread: apparently you can be court martialed for talking about God

apparently you can be court martialed for talking about God

FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

There is a big difference between "talking about it" and "proselytization", which is not permitted in the DoD.

Religion should be treated like your wanker, it's fine to be proud of it, but you do not pull it out in public, wave it around, and you certainly don't force it down the throat of anyone else.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I would bet the farm that if they share Allah, not one word would be said about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    I would bet the farm that if they share Allah, not one word would be said about it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not true. Completely depends on your command and unit. Most I know wouldn't tolerate it any more than Christianity.

The problem is that there is no hard standard by which to measure this...chaplains in some commands are prevented from praying in Jesus name per their faith....not good to not be able to practice your religion.
    It flies in the face if the first amendment

7. A person can't normally get punished for "sharing faith"...but should (and hopefully will, someday soon), if he/she is a commander, supervisor, or superior in terms of rank or position, and the "faith sharing" is mixed with official activities or official status, and/or is directed to subordinates who have no choice but to listen and who of course will believe they had better conform or suffer the consequences.

Absent that kind of abuse of position and absent interference with others' duty performance, "sharing of faith" (whether proselytizing or evangelizing or just religious banter and small talk) can't be singled out for restrictions or sanctions simply because it's religious--even if it's happening in the workplace. Where it becomes an actionable problem is when the person(s) to whom the religious speech is directed says "stop" and the proselytizing/evangelizing continues. It's actionable because it's now unwanted and potentially injurious to mission accomplishment, good order, & discipline (especially if in the workplace; there's obviously more latitude in a non-duty setting). The more senior the person indulging in the religious speech is in terms of rank or position, the higher the greater the risk that the speech won't be permissible speech between equals if for no other reason than that the "target of the speech" is less likely to be able to say, "Stop talking to me about that--I'm not interested!"