In digging thru the safe for dad's will,
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In digging thru the safe for dad's will,

In digging thru the safe for dad's will,

I came across several things of interest. One was the Certificate of Appreciation for dad's service in the Navy from 5 Dec 1946 to 30 Apr 1971 and bearing Richard Nixon's name. Along with it was a letter of Commendation from the CO, NAVSECGRUACT Homestead dated 3 Feb 1970 and sent via the CO , NAVSECGRUACT Bremerhaven and with an attached endorsement from said second CO. The CO of Homestead also made sure that when dad retired , he retired under his command a little over a year later. And had as a guest, an Admiral who knew and worked with dad. There are other letters of commendation in the safe that also refer to classified letters with commendations in them. Sad to say, I will never know many of his accomplishment while in. I will be going north this week with his will and dress blues for his funeral. He has been diagnosed with terminal Pancreatic Cancer with only a short time left to live.

Another vet of the greatest generation will soon be no more. For those who still have them in the family, cherish them while you can.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

So sorry to hear that. I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I came across several things of interest. One was the Certificate of Appreciation for dad's service in the Navy from 5 Dec 1946 to 30 Apr 1971 and bearing Richard Nixon's name. Along with it was a letter of Commendation from the CO, NAVSECGRUACT Homestead dated 3 Feb 1970 and sent via the CO , NAVSECGRUACT Bremerhaven and with an attached endorsement from said second CO. The CO of Homestead also made sure that when dad retired , he retired under his command a little over a year later. And had as a guest, an Admiral who knew and worked with dad. There are other letters of commendation in the safe that also refer to classified letters with commendations in them. Sad to say, I will never know many of his accomplishment while in. I will be going north this week with his will and dress blues for his funeral. He has been diagnosed with terminal Pancreatic Cancer with only a short time left to live.

Another vet of the greatest generation will soon be no more. For those who still have them in the family, cherish them while you can.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your family. When he does pass, if he is to be buried in a local cemetery, make sure to get in contact with the closest Navy reserve station so they can come out and give him full military honors at the ceremony. It's something I do in the Marine Corps reserve and take it very seriously. There's no greater honor, IMO, than getting to participate in laying a fallen brother to rest. Send your father my regards, and eternal thanks.

One of the things that made that generation so great was their humility. They performed a job because it was their duty and not for any personal accolades. I salute your father and my prayers go out to your family.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your family. When he does pass, if he is to be buried in a local cemetery, make sure to get in contact with the closest Navy reserve station so they can come out and give him full military honors at the ceremony. It's something I do in the Marine Corps reserve and take it very seriously. There's no greater honor, IMO, than getting to participate in laying a fallen brother to rest. Send your father my regards, and eternal thanks.
    Will see if we have one nearby. I do know there is an Army one just across the river in WV. He has also requested that the Patriot Guard Riders attend.
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    One of the things that made that generation so great was their humility. They performed a job because it was their duty and not for any personal accolades.
    So true. He has asked that nothing other than his collar devices ( E-9 ), insignia on his sleeve ( Master Chief and CT ), and his hash marks be on his uniform. He is very proud of the fact that he was a CT. No ribbons to be on the uniform although I know he had about a dozen or so including ones that were for double or triple awards with attached devices.
    NRA Certified RSO

I haven't seen any mention that today, June 6, is the the anniversary of the D-Day Invasion. I'm sorry if I missed it but it is worth another mention. I had two uncles involved in the invasion and both survived but one was killed later in France where he is buried along with 11,000 other Americans at St. Lorraine Military Cemetery. My father was in the Pacific.. Neither he nor his surviving brother would ever talk about the circumstances of their service or the death of their brother. I'm sorry that I wasn't more persistent because they're both dead now and I will never find out.

If you know any WW2 vets thank them for their service because soon they will all be gone. We are losing a very important part of our history that we really need to remember. And too many in this country don't seem to care what has been sacrificed for their liberty.

My condolences to you and a salute to a hero. In that vein I actually spent today (anniversary of D-Day) with my Dad who was in Normandy shortly after the invasion with the Third Armored Division (Spearhead). He was wounded in France and we talked a while about both of our wars. After your post, I am especially glad that I went. Thanks for sharing.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by buckey01 View Post
    I haven't seen any mention that today, June 6, is the the anniversary of the D-Day Invasion. I'm sorry if I missed it but it is worth another mention. I had two uncles involved in the invasion and both survived but one was killed later in France where he is buried along with 11,000 other Americans at St. Lorraine Military Cemetery. My father was in the Pacific.. Neither he nor his surviving brother would ever talk about the circumstances of their service or the death of their brother. I'm sorry that I wasn't more persistent because they're both dead now and I will never find out.

If you know any WW2 vets thank them for their service because soon they will all be gone. We are losing a very important part of our history that we really need to remember. And too many in this country don't seem to care what has been sacrificed for their liberty.
    Dad got an e-mail back in May that the Doolittle Raiders are now ( at that time ) down to only 4 survivors. There will be no public reunion for them in 2014. They have been meeting yearly since 1946. They were supposed to open a bottle from 1896 ( year Doolittle was born ) and toast the crew members who had passed when there were only two survivors left. But they decided this year that they will have a private get together so that all 4 can be there as they could lose 3 in a short time.

I can count myself lucky as having met a number of WW II vets over the years. And had a number of them as family members. But also saddened by the fact that even those who did survive, many years later may have died from their service. An uncle of mine got frostbite at the Battle of the Bulge ( Bastogne ) but survived the war. Less than 30 years later, that same wound caused gangrene starting at the big toe. It spread so fast that even with amputations of the toes, foot, and leg below knee they could not stop it and in less than 4 hours he was dead. A number of members on mom's side of the family never survived the war as they served as aircrew members in B-17s over Europe. A picture of one crew with a named relative in it is displayed at the Pima County Air Museum in Tuscon, AZ.
    NRA Certified RSO

Dad passed at 0715 this morning. He has now joined his fellow shipmates that proceeded him including Adm ( Ret. ) G. P. March who was a close friend.
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast