What Was Your Rank? - Page 64
Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Rank?

Army E-8 and counting.

Retired from the USAF as an O-3, but had been enlisted for 13 years, and got as far as E6. So, that makes me a Mustang. (The retirement pension check isn't bad - as long as Obama doesn't put this country completely into the toilet!)

E-4 11 H (Tow Infantry) Regular Army, USA Reserve (Combat Engineer) 12B

LTC, CM, USAR. Retired 23 years of service.

Romans 8:37

HMCS (E-8). (AW/FMF/NAC) Enlisted July 1982- Retired July 2002

I was a airman second class after four years in the airforce. Now, due to political correctness, a airman second class is a airman first and a airman first is now a senior airman. We pay the officers good money to come up with this kind of touchy feely crap? There are better things the officers should be doing.

E-4 when left active duty - USAF EOD
    E-6 when left the ANG - Communications annalist Intel

Former Military

I retired as a Master Seargeant USMC IN 77. My experience and perception is that Rank can be Confusing. If you are no longer in the military your rank has no real power - You cannot use your rank on another former military person. However, Rank has meaning if on a military base - there are rules and traditons, for example former enlisted cannot go into a officers club etc. I am certain that in certain government facilities (maybe some VA hospitals for example) some deference is paid to rank - such as priority handling etc - however this should not be done and is incorrect..

Your experience may give you certain entitlements such as you must be a veteran of foreign wars to be a member of the VFW. However, also believe not only are all former military but their spouses and some other relatives can become members of the American Legion.

It is important to remember that people have earned rank and had experiences and deserve the respect but it does not entitle them to mandatory deference. I have met low ranking enlisted that were very wealthy and powerful corporate officers like CEO's and on the flip side I met retired Colonels that had a little chicken ranch and wore bib overalls.

One time in my life in Corporate America, I need to hire a program/project Manager for a government contract - a very long term government contract providing equipment and material to the subsurface navy. Had an applicant that was on terminal leave and was a former Navy Captain (surface Navy). I had and offer letter in my hand for a starting salary of $80,000. (1988).

I asked if he had any questions before we concluded our interview and he stated that he noted a small Marine Corps flag set on my desk and asked my rank. I stated that I had retired 11 years ago as a Master Sargeant. Then asked him if that would bother him, working directly for me, as I directly reported to the Corporate Operations Officer? He stated, "that might be a problem". I asked him, If knowing I had gotten my bachelors while in the service a Master from Stanford after I retired and had 10 years of exceptional performance with this corporation and was on the fast track and obviously as his boss and the boss of other Program/Project Managers with budget responsibility close to a Billion annually would that make a difference? Would the fact that I had customers that were Admirals and Generals and I briefed them on their projects frequently and had luches with them. He stated "a bit, but it would still bother me that I was working for a former enlisted." I have no idea where he went to work, etc. To me it was a sad experience.. to think that Some people think rank is so important....

10. Retired USAF E-7

E-6

10 years (1993-2003) USN (active)
    STG1(SW) Sonar Technician (surface)

"Fair winds and following seas" to all my shipmates and thanks to all who went before (you specifically dad) and all who will come after.

Page 64 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast