What Was Your Rank? - Page 73
Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Rank?

1. Retired as E8 1SG US Army 1st Air Cav

3. Quote Originally Posted by kennethbroz View Post
    I retired as a Master Seargeant USMC IN 77. My experience and perception is that Rank can be Confusing. If you are no longer in the military your rank has no real power - You cannot use your rank on another former military person. However, Rank has meaning if on a military base - there are rules and traditons, for example former enlisted cannot go into a officers club etc. I am certain that in certain government facilities (maybe some VA hospitals for example) some deference is paid to rank - such as priority handling etc - however this should not be done and is incorrect..

Your experience may give you certain entitlements such as you must be a veteran of foreign wars to be a member of the VFW. However, also believe not only are all former military but their spouses and some other relatives can become members of the American Legion.

It is important to remember that people have earned rank and had experiences and deserve the respect but it does not entitle them to mandatory deference. I have met low ranking enlisted that were very wealthy and powerful corporate officers like CEO's and on the flip side I met retired Colonels that had a little chicken ranch and wore bib overalls.

One time in my life in Corporate America, I need to hire a program/project Manager for a government contract - a very long term government contract providing equipment and material to the subsurface navy. Had an applicant that was on terminal leave and was a former Navy Captain (surface Navy). I had and offer letter in my hand for a starting salary of $80,000. (1988).

I asked if he had any questions before we concluded our interview and he stated that he noted a small Marine Corps flag set on my desk and asked my rank. I stated that I had retired 11 years ago as a Master Sargeant. Then asked him if that would bother him, working directly for me, as I directly reported to the Corporate Operations Officer? He stated, "that might be a problem". I asked him, If knowing I had gotten my bachelors while in the service a Master from Stanford after I retired and had 10 years of exceptional performance with this corporation and was on the fast track and obviously as his boss and the boss of other Program/Project Managers with budget responsibility close to a Billion annually would that make a difference? Would the fact that I had customers that were Admirals and Generals and I briefed them on their projects frequently and had luches with them. He stated "a bit, but it would still bother me that I was working for a former enlisted." I have no idea where he went to work, etc. To me it was a sad experience.. to think that Some people think rank is so important....
    Rank to me meant the difference of paying the bills or not.We didn't make much then and they don't now either.
    But I was a 2111 from 1975-1979 and left as a E 5 Sergeant. Its odd that with the rank of Master Seargent or Master Sargeant you spelled it incorrectly both times.I have spell checker or I may have also. I remember in boot camp using the President Obama pronunciation of Marine Corps heavy on the S and doing bends and MFers until I truly thought i would die. Anyway whatever your rank was thanks for your service.

4. E3 Lance Corporal USMC 1989-1990 Medical Discharge.

Got hit by a car and screwed my knee up. No kidding. if I wasnt for that I think I would still be in. Thanks to all the Vets of all branches

Rick

SSG (E-6).
    I consider ANYWarrior, from ANY branch, and ANY service period as a brother or sister. We share a bond that those who have never served cannot fathom. Once it is instilled, it can not be removed, by any man or government.
    Thank ALL of you for your service, and love of country. It is up to US, the believers in Jefferson's Experiment, to assure a future for our children.

Usaf 1969-1973 e-4, sgt

US Army retired 24 years active duty.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

8. I was a MSgt in the USAF, Spent all the time turning wrenches on different types of aircraft. Cussed every minute on the old Phantom, but I'd go back on them in a minute. Retired with 20 years, 3 months and 11 days service, but who was counting. Now doing the same as a contractor for the Air Force at Vance AFB for a company that doesn't have have the espirit de corps as we did.

Clinton J. Biediger, MSgt, USAF (ret'd)
    aka PhantomPhyxer

After I lefT USAF Active duty and then the Reserves I was a E6.

Buck Sergeant E5
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Blog Entries
    US Army, O1 (2Lt) 13F FISTer!

Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast