Security Clearance - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Security Clearance

Baby sat 9 megatons on a Titan II in AZ during the cold war, could not confirm or deny the 9 sites around Tucson exist, but bet I could pass a security clearance / background check and mental health check long before Obama.

My MOS in the Army required an SBI (special background investigation)for TS/SCI (Top Secret/Secure Compartmented Information) access. In the mid-80s, the price was over 100K and took an average of six months. You had to have a reason for having one...besides MOS, crypto, or nuclear related, all field grade and general grade officers were required to have one. Pretty much everyone that worked at missile sites, all field artillery officers and senior NCOs (for tactical nuke capability), guards of nuke material or nuke release material, some guards of SCIF, etc. (besides being MI and having one myself, and pretty much everyone I knew had one, I worked for several months in the Division Counterintelligence Office, where all clearances were sent from the division to the Central Clearance Facility (CCF), where all clearances for DOD, and I assume ALL clearances, were granted.

Mine took about five months, I lived in one town, went to the same school grades 1-12, etc. I was 25 when I joined. Only people I know for sure were interviewed was my HS principal and the neighbors across the street from the house I grew up in. For someone who moved around as a kid, such as an army brat, child of diplomat, etc, it could take over a year.

I knew a few people that were turned down, only one I knew the reason for was drug-related (my best friend at basic training). All of these people had been well-screened, we all were interviewed at the MEPS station, again at the reception station, a couple during basic training (I don't think that I was interviewed then), and at least once at AIT. I estimate that probably 30% were turned down when I was at the CI office, but some of them were turned down because of errors in the paperwork. I guess maybe 20-25% of those that applied were unable to get clearances.

My son is a mech in the Army. He was an E-5 at the time. In anticipation of changing MOS some time in the future, he put in for a TS clearance last year. In about three weeks, after only one interview (my clearance took three or four), he received a TS/SCI.

It HAS to be easy to get one now. One of the main things in my day that would get you denied is association with known Marxists, Communists, Maoists, Leninists, Stalinists, etc. Just association. This pretty much would have prevented Obama's advisers, his entire cabinet, he himself, all of the Democrat congressional leadership, etc, from getting a clearance. Being a homosexual or regular association with known homosexuals would also get you denied.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Baby sat 9 megatons on a Titan II in AZ during the cold war, could not confirm or deny the 9 sites around Tucson exist, but bet I could pass a security clearance / background check and mental health check long before Obama.
    I baby sat many more than I could count on all my appendages on board a large gray ship, that was very flat on top, which of course was only rumored to have nuclear weapons aboard.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    I have seen some of those sites. And been down in the one in Sahuarita, Arizona. And I'll bet I would beat 0bama too.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    I baby sat many more than I could count on all my appendages on board a large gray ship, that was very flat on top, which of course was only rumored to have nuclear weapons aboard.
    As did dad's Battleship supposedly later in the 50s. But that will never be confirmed or denied by him or anyone else.
    NRA Certified RSO

7. I'm pretty sure the process and rules are different for Presidential appointees. They would almost have to be in order for the President to be able to appoint advisers who he trusts. They need to be loyal to him and therefore the clearance process almost has to be different.

The rest of this thread seems pretty accurate about clearances for the vast majority who need them for the regular work of running the DOD or Military.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyH View Post
    I'm pretty sure the process and rules are different for Presidential appointees. They would almost have to be in order for the President to be able to appoint advisers who he trusts. They need to be loyal to him and therefore the clearance process almost has to be different.

The rest of this thread seems pretty accurate about clearances for the vast majority who need them for the regular work of running the DOD or Military.
    My problem with any American is can they pass scrutiny for the position they hold. Be it a cabinet position, appointed GS position or executive level or just active duty. If you need a clearance to preform your duties, you need to be vetted. This process was set up to ensure NO ANTI-AMERICAN WORKING AGAINST THE US CONSTITUTION would be allowed inside our Government. Simple logic. Of course simple logic has been basterdized as has our Constitution over the years due to infiltration by ANTI-AMERICANS.
    When was the last time a confirmation hearing stated "Can you pass a security background check"?
    If you can't remember the question ever being asked, then the enemy is inside the wire. And people wonder how we ever got this far out from the American way.....................
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by fstroupe View Post
    My MOS in the Army required an SBI (special background investigation)for TS/SCI (Top Secret/Secure Compartmented Information) access. In the mid-80s, the price was over 100K and took an average of six months.
    Same here, I was in MI in '84-'87 and had TS/SCI. Even with the clearance, some jobs required that you be "read-on" to a certain access list, which might involve extra checks. I got to read cool ***** about the Ruskies while they were still the bad guy, before they became the good guy, and then the bad guy again....
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    My problem with any American is can they pass scrutiny for the position they hold. Be it a cabinet position, appointed GS position or executive level or just active duty. If you need a clearance to preform your duties, you need to be vetted. This process was set up to ensure NO ANTI-AMERICAN WORKING AGAINST THE US CONSTITUTION would be allowed inside our Government. Simple logic. Of course simple logic has been basterdized as has our Constitution over the years due to infiltration by ANTI-AMERICANS.
    When was the last time a confirmation hearing stated "Can you pass a security background check"?
    If you can't remember the question ever being asked, then the enemy is inside the wire. And people wonder how we ever got this far out from the American way.....................
    I also throw this out there like flatulence in the wind.......Why would a E3 have access to millions of records and files listed TS or above? Pvt Manning, really???? Was this a set up like Fast & Furious gone bad? Need to know was always the standard of access. what has changed?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Some of that downturn happened when those who dodged the draft and went to Canada were allowed to come back and get gov't jobs. They worked their way up thru the system and instituted policies that made it easier for their kind to gain access to the gov't.
    NRA Certified RSO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast