Security Clearance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Clearance

Security Clearance

Back in the day, ya had to have a need to know. I had a secret with a partially completed BI to be a "FZ" key holder on my ship. JUST to have a full BI was about 85K per my XO. NOW, this was back in the seventies. DIS wasn't able to access electronic background, it had to be manual. Friends and a teacher from my junior high school days told me they were contacted by DIS for a report on not only my behavior but friends and associates I hung out with.
    Are they still doing this or do they just issue credentials based on preliminary background check?
    ?
    I'll never confirm or deny that any HIGH YIELD ordnance was ever viewed, handled, known or understood during my enlistment in the Navy.
    What I don't understand is why sooo many clearances are issued to those that are risks or political appointees.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

3. Yes they still do interviews. And they need to get periodically reviewed for continued access.

I've been out of the military a while now (since '89), but was holder of a TS, and also had the same experience, I know my kindergarten teacher even got a visit! Took a year to gain the clearance. I've often asked, given the scrutiny I knew, how this seems to be happening!

Remember when I went into the Navy and assigned to a nuclear weapons rating, got a TS with NI. Combined with the fact I was on a carrier and we were deployed for almost a year, when I finally got home on leave, everyone I ran into was "man what did you do, where have you been, they came around asking all sorts of sh!t about you". This was during the height of the Viet Nam war.

I just told them I could tell them but would have to kill them if I did.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Same was done for dad in the 50's and it scared his parents back then. You don't often have gov't agents visit a farm in rural Ohio asking those kind of questions.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Back in the day, ya had to have a need to know. I had a secret with a partially completed BI to be a "FZ" key holder on my ship. JUST to have a full BI was about 85K per my XO. NOW, this was back in the seventies. DIS wasn't able to access electronic background, it had to be manual. Friends and a teacher from my junior high school days told me they were contacted by DIS for a report on not only my behavior but friends and associates I hung out with.
    Are they still doing this or do they just issue credentials based on preliminary background check?
    ?
    I'll never confirm or deny that any HIGH YIELD ordnance was ever viewed, handled, known or understood during my enlistment in the Navy.
    What I don't understand is why sooo many clearances are issued to those that are risks or political appointees.
    So my questions still stands.........."why sooo many clearances are issued to those that are risks or political appointees"
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Political means.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

So my questions still stands.........."why sooo many clearances are issued to those that are risks or political appointees"
    Does dropping out of high school make them a security risk? Some of the brightest and scary smart people dropout because they recognize that HS is draining their soul and a complete waste of time. The scary smart also exhibit a great deal of arrogance, but who is to say that isn't justified.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Does dropping out of high school make them a security risk? Some of the brightest and scary smart people dropout because they recognize that HS is draining their soul and a complete waste of time. The scary smart also exhibit a great deal of arrogance, but who is to say that isn't justified.
    Amen to that. 2190 on my SATs, graduated HS with a 1.88 GPA. Total waste of time. I hated the school part of high school.

While on active duty as an MP who was a PSD (Protective Service Detail) at SHAPE Belgium I held a TS/SCI.. Very thorough on the paperwork part, interviewed a few teachers and HS classmates, but that was it..

I got hired as an Army Civilian this past November, had to obtain a Secret/ Non Sensitive, OPM had me fill out paperwork dating back 10 years for employment, but made me list all my residences in my lifetime.. They then did National Agency Check, Credit check and tax records for 3 years.. After 9/11 they got a lot more strict on clearances.. The Army runs you monthly via national agency and if financial issues arise you are automatically flagged and your clearance is suspended pending mitigation... Back in the day to get a secret clearance pulled you had to be a real screw up, guys kept em for. DWI's and bad checks ( at least in the army) again that was a simple secret not a TS..
    If you have no prior convictions or credit issues and NO immediate family member is from a foreign country, you will most likely get a TS..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast