M9 Replacement? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M9 Replacement?

Heard the 1911 marine put bid in is cost them 2500 per firearm. And is only few thousand. Not a general issue weapon.

Sent from my XT901 using USA Carry mobile app
    To teach tolerance, you must first be Intolerant.

I heard some rumors about the time that I was getting out last year that Sig had won the contract to replace the Beretta M9. IDK how substantial that rumor but I was in the Military Police field and I heard this a lot. Anyone have any insight on this?

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    Heard the 1911 marine put bid in is cost them 2500 per firearm. And is only few thousand. Not a general issue weapon.

12,000 of them so not just a few thousand. But not really a general issue gun either.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    They will propably go with glock. Glock can underbid and has a reputation for reliable. The people afraid of the plastic gun are no longer in charge. 1911 platform will cost too much for a reliable version. Sig is my usual way to lean but they are proud of them and hold a good price. But also politics play a role and could fool us all. Ruger polymer line is getting good reports from people I know use them.

They will not go with a glock. If I've learned one thing being a military marksmanship instructor it's that the military will NEVER use a firearm without a manual safety for broad issue, nor should they. Half of the people in the military have never shot a gun before basic training and then they only shoot it once a year for qualification. The only firearms safety they know are the little ditties drill instructors pound into their heads. Some the people I have to instruct are just downright terrifying with a firearm. Negligent discharges would go through the roof with Glocks as issued sidearms.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_vet88 View Post
    I heard some rumors about the time that I was getting out last year that Sig had won the contract to replace the Beretta M9. IDK how substantial that rumor but I was in the Military Police field and I heard this a lot. Anyone have any insight on this?
    Sigs are used the same way 1911s are now. Pretty much restricted to SF if they want them, at least in the Marines. I think some Navy and Air Force MPs/security force guys use them too.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    They will not go with a glock. If I've learned one thing being a military marksmanship instructor it's that the military will NEVER use a firearm without a manual safety for broad issue, nor should they. Half of the people in the military have never shot a gun before basic training and then they only shoot it once a year for qualification. The only firearms safety they know are the little ditties drill instructors pound into their heads. Some the people I have to instruct are just downright terrifying with a firearm. Negligent discharges would go through the roof with Glocks as issued sidearms.
    Which is why the 1911 still makes sense for the military.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

M9 Replacement?

The marine corps is already bring back the 1911 and fazing out the m9.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What is the point of having a thumb safety on a striker fired safe action pistol?
    Not so much as my preference but the military isn't comfortable with your average Joe handling pistols without a safety. In another article (Army Times?) I read that the Sig was regected b/c it didn't have a positive safety and the Glock wasn't favorable for the same reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Sigs are used the same way 1911s are now. Pretty much restricted to SF if they want them, at least in the Marines. I think some Navy and Air Force MPs/security force guys use them too.
    USAF OSI uses the P228... as of now, the Security Forces guys use the M9 exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12