Transferring to an Army base... but I am Navy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transferring to an Army base... but I am Navy

1. Thanks all. I in no way intended to break any rules, I was just posing a question. Just because I DONT WANT to do something does not mean I am in any way going to do anything to not "obey the orders of the...". I am sure there are things that others in this very post have done that they in no way wanted to do, BUT they did it because it was the right thing to do. Lots of high horses here eh... Again, thank you all for very thoughtful and thorough responses.

Quote Originally Posted by evolve View Post
    Thanks all. I in no way intended to break any rules, I was just posing a question. Just because I DONT WANT to do something does not mean I am in any way going to do anything to not "obey the orders of the...". I am sure there are things that others in this very post have done that they in no way wanted to do, BUT they did it because it was the right thing to do. Lots of high horses here eh... Again, thank you all for very thoughtful and thorough responses.
    Just to throw this out here if you choose not to register them you would have to either take them to your quarters and leave them there until you PCS or risk them being found in a random search every time you drive off post with them. Which would likely end your career.

Alternatively you might want to find an off post, climate controled storge company and store them there
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Evolve: The simple answer to your question is to obey the orders for the installation. No big deal. In all my years of service, and living in military housing, I didn't have any problems concerning my weapons. They were registered (again, no big deal) and no one ever questioned me about having them. During hunting seasons, I carried my weapons in a gun rack in my truck while proceeding to my hunting areas and was never stopped. Actually, it was a non-issue and we all lived happily ever after. Just obey the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Evolve: The simple answer to your question is to obey the orders for the installation. No big deal. In all my years of service, and living in military housing, I didn't have any problems concerning my weapons. They were registered (again, no big deal) and no one ever questioned me about having them. During hunting seasons, I carried my weapons in a gun rack in my truck while proceeding to my hunting areas and was never stopped. Actually, it was a non-issue and we all lived happily ever after. Just obey the rules.
    Some bases actually have on base hunting so even that is a non-issue. Just do what the base requires to remain legal. We had guns in our base housing in both Turkey and Japan.

As for the off base housing and needing to tell about family members living there having guns, that is a sticky wicket. Say two adult brothers live off base. One is in the military and does not own any guns. The other brother is a civilian and owns guns. Some bases have said that those have to be reported. That is a violation of the civilians rights. Also, unless it has changed, ANG facilities are not allowed to store personal weapons in their firearms storage facilities. I haven't checked since 2004 when I applied for a job in Jax. HR 6523 (111th Congress, NDAA 2011, Section 1062 ) banned the military from asking about or maintaining records of any military or civilian employee ownership of firearms off base as long as the person was off duty and out of uniform. NDAA 2013 Section 1071 reopened it in the case of those thought to be of high risk of suicide or harm to others.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    What in the world is "Aqua-flage"?
    It is a joke foisted upon the Navy guys by someone higher up. The only ones wearing something like that should be guys who are needing to hide in the water, such as the SEALs. Just like the Army found out that jungle-flage doesn't look right in a desert environment.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    It is a joke foisted upon the Navy guys by someone higher up. The only ones wearing something like that should be guys who are needing to hide in the water, such as the SEALs. Just like the Army found out that jungle-flage doesn't look right in a desert environment.
    +1!

Back in '84 I was TDY to Ft. Bliss ( El Paso, Tx ) for training with the 3rd ACS and went into the field ( desert ) with newly issued woodland camouflage BDUs.

I was in the Air Force at the time and the Army got a kick out of our uniforms because they were pretty and stood out like a sore thumb. I switched back to old faded green fatigues which actually blended in better than the BDUs.

Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

8. I would wear pink camo if they came up with a uniform that didn't cost more $150 for a shirt, pants and cap.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. If it was me, I'd live off base.....just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Even if you are being ordered to live in base housing.... the US military is still VOLUNTARY. You agreed to abide by lawful regulations and orders. It's right in the oath you took. So, you have to decide for yourself whether it violates the Constitution for the military to require you to disclose ownership of firearms to them. Disclosure of personal firearms would be a 4th Amendment argument, not a 2nd Amendment argument. Confiscation and bans on firearms possession becomes the 2nd Amendment issue.
    The question is actually about money. The best solution would be to live off-base, but many bases that have housing will not authorize payment of a housing allowance if there is on-base housing and the member declines. If you didn't know, we don't make a stellar wage. Know that the Army is really kind of pro-gun :) but if you live on base they also have regular housing inspections to ensure you aren't trashing the place. Having a gunsafe might raise questions. Check the base policies and see what options you have.
    Chief

11. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    What in the world is "Aqua-flage"?
    aquaflage: blue and grey, digital pattern camouflage currently in use by the US Navy; also: digiblues

The new aquaflage was far more comfortable and versatile than the old uniforms, but added a whole new element of danger to falling overboard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast