Government shutdown also means closed commissaries on bases

Thread: Government shutdown also means closed commissaries on bases

By Denise Wong
    Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- U.S. commissaries are shutting down across the country today and they will remain closed for as long as the government shutdown lasts.

The closures include the commissary at Nellis Air Force Base.

Commissaries are where U.S. military families can buy inexpensive groceries tax free. The stateside closures of these commissaries are creating financial hardships not just for the families who buy their food there and need the discounts, but also for the workers who rely on the paychecks.

Margaret Owen is a cashier at the Nellis AFB commissary and she was recently told she wouldn't be needed at work during this furlough.

She said she doesn't know how she is going to support her family while she is not working. The thought of having to get another job worries her because she is not sure how long this furlough is going to last and she has a hearing impairment which could make finding temporary work difficult.

She is also concerned about her coworkers at the commissary. She calls them her "other family."

"Great group, great people, great place to be," says Owen. "I wouldn't trade it for the world and it's not just me that's in jeopardy. They're in jeopardy, too."

Officials at Nellis AFB say many civilian employees at the base have already suffered a 25-percent salary cut for the six weeks leading up to the end of the fiscal year.

Government shutdown also means closed commissaries on bases - www.ktnv.com
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Let's try that last post again...

Free Sam's Club Memberships for Military during commissary shutdown.

The Baltimore Sun
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

And that's in all states, I checked out my local Sam's and they are doing it too, even tho we haven't many active duty in our area. they said, every soldier counts. Thank you Sam's Club

Yes this is True. Go to the Sams Club Facebook page for the details. It looks like Veterans' are included.

Bet Reid, Pelosi, and 0bama don't like this development.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Commissaries are open again. Waiting to see if mess halls are also open again - they had also been shut down.