Weapon experience in the military: US Army - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon experience in the military: US Army

Any of you ever used or fired that boxy looking tanker's machine-gun?
    I remember it looked like an older Tommy, but had a square magazine, no stock. They gave it to tankers who couldn't get the (longer) M-16's inside the M-60's and same when the Army transitioned to the M1A1/2's? We all wanted one but the 'zip-guns' were 4 tanker use only.

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 11-19-2008 at 09:18 AM.

When I was with 8th ID(mech) HHC 2/68th Armored Regiment,in the 80's,they used the
    M-60A3 Tank,and the crew was issued the "Grease Gun",in 45ACP,and the 1911.
    I was in the M113 APC armed with a M16,and a 1911, as the medic.

I was issued one of these! :) It had a M242 25mm chain gun with a M240 pintle mounted machine gun.

I was also issued the normal M16A1 and a 12ga shotgun.

Exclamation Std USAF sidearms

92F (M-9) Pistol
    M-16A2

These are what i was formally trained on and although most people do not like the 92F...I found it to be fairly accurate and reliable.

I did have a mechanical failure (bolt head failed) with an M-16A2 once during qualification training but I was still able to Qualify with a different weapon and no one was hurt. It was just on of those freakish things. The weapon didn't sound right and the recoil was harsh. The next round would not chamber and when I attempted SPORTS it did not co-operate.
    Last edited by festus; 12-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

My primary weapons were the M16A1 and the 9mm 92FS(M9).

I was fortunate to also qualify with the M60 and .50 cal M2. I remember we qualified with the M2 at night. Those tracers seem to go forever....

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

U.S. Army 1972-75. At one time or another my personal issued weapons were the M-16A1, 1911A1, M-3 sub-machinegun, M-79 grenade launcher, M-60 machine gun and the M-2 heavy machine gun.

My 10 years in the USAF was very lacking in firearms training and experience. I was an aircraft mechanic for 3 years and a C130 flight engineer for 7.

In basic training, we got to qualify with M16's that had .22lr conversions installed. I never got to fire an automatic weapon until after my military days.

As a flight crew member, we carried .38 special revolvers (can't remember the model)concealed with 6 rounds of ball ammo whenever we left the country. We carried them openly during Desert Storm. I had a grand total of 1 day training with the .38.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    My 10 years in the USAF was very lacking in firearms training and experience. I was an aircraft mechanic for 3 years and a C130 flight engineer for 7.

In basic training, we got to qualify with M16's that had .22lr conversions installed. I never got to fire an automatic weapon until after my military days.

As a flight crew member, we carried .38 special revolvers (can't remember the model)concealed with 6 rounds of ball ammo whenever we left the country. We carried them openly during Desert Storm. I had a grand total of 1 day training with the .38.
    I cannot believe that the U.S. Military had you qualify with a .22 conversion kit. That's messed up! Then again being that it was the U.S.A.F. I'm not too surprised. I've seen stranger things since moving over from the U.S. Army.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I've trained on or quald with a few weapons over the years....

M16A1
    M16A2
    M16A4
    M4
    M9 (9mm)
    M9 (bayonet)
    M203 Grendade Launcher
    M500 SG
    M24
    Barrett M82A2
    M60 MG
    M249 SAW
    M240B MG
    M240C MG
    M2 .50 MG
    MK-19
    M242 Bushmaster (What's the sound of the 25?....Boom Boom...)
    FMG-148 Javelin
    M220 TOW Launcher
    AT-4
    60, 81, and 120MM Mortars
    M67 Frag, Incendiary grenades
    shot various soviet style weapons (AK-47s, 74s, RPK, PKC, Draganov, Chineese/Iraqi Pistols)

but the best wepon in my ruck sack over the years has been the RT 1523E.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

In the Corps I fired M16A1,A2, 1911,92F, M60, SAW, M203,TOW2. The TOW2 was alot of fun and I would love to have a SAW.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast