Why can't military members carry personal weapons on bases?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't military members carry personal weapons on bases?

1. Why can't military members carry personal weapons on bases?

In my 10 years in the Navy I've never figured out why our nation does not trust the members of its own military. I can only conclude that is the case since they impose ever more strict rules governing our conduct and our lifestyle. So why is it that those us charged with the defense of our nation, those of us in whom they place their so called trust to use weapons to defend others if we are attacked, that we can't carry personal weapons onto military bases? If Fort Hood proved anything it is that those who wish us harm can and will take advantage of the fact they know we are not allowed to carry the means of our own defense onto a base. I fail to see the rationale that allows us to wield weapons the rest of the population is not even allowed to own in defense of our country but on a base when it comes to our own defense or the defense of our fellow serviceman we are not to be trusted.

3. The military has always operated on the thought that bases were safe places to go without being armed. Sadly this has turned out to be a fallacy. While bases are fairly safe being in uniform outside them is decidedly not. Recruiting offices are places that concealed carry should be allowed. Since the service sidearm is not able to be carried concealed then qualification with the pistol of your choice should be an option to concealed carry in cases where concealed is deemed necessary.

4. Military bases by the very nature of them are targets from everything to foreign agents to home grown terrorists. If anything the general understanding should be that military bases are less safe for that express reason. If an enemy does attack will we be prepared or will we be dealt a devastating blow before we can respond? If you've been to any military base they have a few armed guards at the gate. These could be easily overwhelmed by a well prepared force particularly if it's a sneak attack. What then for those of us on those bases? We would have no means to defend ourselves. And you make a valid point that being off base in uniform makes us walking targets. I fully concur with your assertion that people who work in recruiting offices should be allowed to be armed since they don't even have the protection of being on a base.

5. I know the Air Force has a law saying it is up to the local commanders (i.e. garrison base commanders) to allow military members to carry

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MiB602 View Post
    In my 10 years in the Navy I've never figured out why our nation does not trust the members of its own military. I can only conclude that is the case since they impose ever more strict rules governing our conduct and our lifestyle. So why is it that those us charged with the defense of our nation, those of us in whom they place their so called trust to use weapons to defend others if we are attacked, that we can't carry personal weapons onto military bases? If Fort Hood proved anything it is that those who wish us harm can and will take advantage of the fact they know we are not allowed to carry the means of our own defense onto a base. I fail to see the rationale that allows us to wield weapons the rest of the population is not even allowed to own in defense of our country but on a base when it comes to our own defense or the defense of our fellow serviceman we are not to be trusted.
    There is no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_HILLBILLY View Post
    I know the Air Force has a law saying it is up to the local commanders (i.e. garrison base commanders) to allow military members to carry

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using USA Carry mobile app
    Well, not exactly.

Authorization may be granted by exception only, and even then must be done under the umbrella of a formal program available only to law enforcement officers and designated and trained security forces augmentees (via the "Unit Marshal Program") while carrying an issued service weapon.

The rest of us remain defenseless.

Layperson's summary here:

Air Force implements additional security measures > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    Well, not exactly.

Authorization may be granted by exception only, and even then must be done under the umbrella of a formal program available only to law enforcement officers and designated and trained security forces augmentees (via the "Unit Marshal Program") while carrying an issued service weapon.

The rest of us remain defenseless.

Layperson's summary here:

Air Force implements additional security measures > U.S. Air Force > Article Display
    Maybe Airmen are defenseless without a gun, but the Army taught us how to fight, and I'm sure there's more than a few Marines that could perform even better.

The 21ft rule works both ways. Take a combatives class. Get a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Maybe Airmen are defenseless without a gun, but the Army taught us how to fight, and I'm sure there's more than a few Marines that could perform even better.

The 21ft rule works both ways. Take a combatives class. Get a knife.
    It's unfortunate, then, that the Fort Hood victims didn't have the same level of training as you.

Quote Originally Posted by kwc View Post
    It's unfortunate, then, that the Fort Hood victims didn't have the same level of training as you.
    As if it takes a lot of training...

Fort Hood laid down and let that happen. Guns don't fix cowardes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    As if it takes a lot of training...

Fort Hood laid down and let that happen. Guns don't fix cowardes.
    I wasn't there, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

Without a doubt, good training and a willingness to fight can go a long way toward mitigating such risks. However, there is still significant disparity of force, and a personal firearm can help in many situations.

Sgt. Ray seemed to think it would have helped:

https://www.nranews.com/series/ginny...itary-disarmed

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast