Army rookies learn to fire guns

Thread: Army rookies learn to fire guns

Army rookies learn to fire guns

If things weren't already bad enough...." More than half of raw recruits have never held, let alone fired, a weapon".

Fewer orders, more coaching: Army rookies learn to fire guns

~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    If things weren't already bad enough...." More than half of raw recruits have never held, let alone fired, a weapon".
    Generally those with zero experience make the best students. Not as much to unlearn
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Generally those with zero experience make the best students. Not as much to unlearn
    I disagree.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

I disagree.
    Done a lot of large scale (battalion level) training have you?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

I disagree.

Then perhaps you should read the articles you post. The DI's state in the article that they are the best shots because they don't have bad habits to unlearn.

Proof that everything you post is based on the shallow content of the headline interpreted with your own bias.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    It worked for me.

Before joining the Navy at age 19 I had never touched a gun. After instruction at the gun range on base I got the Expert Pistol ribbon first try. It was a ribbon that had to be renewed periodically, and each time I got Expert. I simply did what the range instructor told me to do.

At one point or another everyone has neither held or fired a weapon. If you got good instruction when you first started you developed good habits. If you didn't, you developed bad habits. Bad habits must be abandoned (particularly those related to the safe handling of firearms) and unlearned, and that frequently takes time. With good instruction zero experience students can progress quickly when they don't have a raft load of bad habits to overcome, and will usually very quickly equal and then surpass their peers who came with "more experience" that was flawed. That has been my experience in the military, law enforcement, and with civilians. Those who learned from their dad, uncle, or older brother etc., may have received good instruction. In my experience it is just as likely they did not.

That's what happen when people post headlines without actually even skimming the content of the article, and assuming that it supports their prejudice, when it fact it only shows how wrong they are.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. Interesting. Thanks.

11. How come everybody else in the army has rifles and these soldiers have guns. Lol. I thought guns were artillery pieces