Thinking about rejoining.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about rejoining.

Thinking about rejoining.

I'm a former Marine in the Infantry, and I'm debating on going back into the Ga national Guard to be an MP.

I know that I will then be working for Obama, but I just miss the satisfaction that I got from being in the USMC.

Anyway, that's all.....just wanted to up my post count!!

Well good luck hope it all works out. They did just raise the scores for the ASVAB you use to only need a 31 to get into the army and a 16 or over with a Cat4 wavier. But now the min score is 50 or better.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Be careful. I did the same thing after I left the Navy. I would go and hang out with them at their next drill. You may be surpised by the difference between active duty and NG. In my case, the NG was a little more lax on discipline. Many of them wouldn't have made it on AD. However, with most guard units having been deployed multiple times, that may be a non-issue by now.

That is also true the Guard is not the best. Some guys who are in it have a paint size bigger then the fat guy in the red suit. Another thing that sucks about the guard is. That if you are up for promotion and your unit has no open slots for ( SGT) then you have to wait still one opens up to be promoted. Or move to another unit that has a open slot.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Well good luck hope it all works out. They did just raise the scores for the ASVAB you use to only need a 31 to get into the army and a 16 or over with a Cat4 wavier. But now the min score is 50 or better.

Yea the ASVAB score isn't a problem, as my recruiter pulled my scores and said "Good Lord!, you can have any job you want".

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    That is also true the Guard is not the best. Some guys who are in it have a paint size bigger then the fat guy in the red suit. Another thing that sucks about the guard is. That if you are up for promotion and your unit has no open slots for ( SGT) then you have to wait still one opens up to be promoted. Or move to another unit that has a open slot.

Yea funny thing about that is that for my height (72") the max weight for Prior Service is 200lbs. I'm at 212lbs (no I'm not fat), but I easily make tape, and can easily pass the PFT.

Hey pistolmonkey,
    Got a movie for you to watch: 'Home of the Brave', (2006) with Samuel L. Jackson. Follows the story of 4 (WA State) Army Reserve soldiers who complete a tour in Iraq and come home to lives they have problems many Vets face when they try to pick it up where they left off. I saw myself in that good flick as the misunderstood/angry young white guy who can't adapt to civilian life and went back to something I knew was a lot harder, but with comrades and ways I could relate too and doing something a bit more challenging than flipping burgers in a Mc-D's. Got out of the Army in Dec 1979 as an ex-Combat Engineer after a horrible 3 year Cold War tour in Germany, FTA! Came home way-changed and I could not even stand being around normal civilians, couldn't even find a job. 7 months later I was back in a recruiters office and on my way to become a Medic at Ft. Sam Houston, found my true calling in the Army after that and retired at 20 years in as an E7/SFC. Spent more time humping with the Infantry as their medic than in any Army fixed hospital, but I was their 'Doc', and saving lives IMHO beats taking them. When we are there many hate it looking forward to only going home, then we get home and it is not easy reintegrating, and take a look around at how many good jobs even exist anymore, unemployment is at record highs nation-wide. If things pan out the way BHO wants, Iraq may be lo-scale in 16 months and Afghanistan may be the orders many get. As much as I envied/degraded/razzed the U.S. Air Force for good duty, chow, bases, etc., and less misery than most ground-pounding MOS's endure, it is IMHO a branch you may want to look at for meeting 2 goals, still serving your nation, and doing it with a lot more creature comforts than the Army or the USMC ever sees. Keep us posted on how you play this out and best of luck fellow Vet.

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 01-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.

pistolmonkey, yes Obama will be your CinC but ultimately you are working for the American People. Good luck with whatever you decide. Thank you for your service.

A fellow vet
    Hamster

"Any job you want," huh? My recruiter would only draw a line on a chart and say, "you can have any job to the left of this line."

That the line was FAR to the right of any job on the chart did NOT mean I could have any job in the Army. Only those to the left of that line.

Clearly, he was a careful man...

Ah, but medical disqualifications follow you across branches, sadly...
    Fred's News
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - - Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by pistolmonkey View Post
    ...I know that I will then be working for Obama...
    I don't think you're going to be getting much support from the Federal government during the next administration and it's certainly going to be difficult for all in the military.

While Obama way be the 'Commander in Chief' you're actually working for me--and every other citizen you'll be protecting. And whatever your choice, keep in mind that many millions of us appreciate the service you and others provide for our well-being.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast