Communist West Pointer Elimnated from Army

Thread: Communist West Pointer Elimnated from Army

Communist West Pointer Elimnated from Army

In 2017, Spenser Rapone graduated from West Point. Rapone considers himself to be a Communist and displayed pictures of Che Guerva under his uniform and a sign in his cover stating that communism would win. The incident caused considerable consternation within the services and the country. Finally, the issue with Rapone has been settled and he was given an Undesirable Discharge from the Army. Never saw the resolution of the problem until today and thought others might be interested in the outcome.

https://sofrep.com/104349/update-com...ble-discharge/

An "other than honorable" is appropriate. That mentality is in direct conflict with the mentality required of any officer in the military.

Good riddance, and good for those who spoke up about his aberrant behavior.

However, since he just took the taxpayers for a ride (he retains his "Graduated from West Point" credentials), there are plenty of organizations out there who're more than willing to hire him. He did make it through the program and graduate, so barring any scandals like widespread cheating, they can't take that away from him.

Hmm... My gut tells me he's getting off easy. Is it not against the law for active subversives to attempt to infiltrate the U.S. Military?

"After Rapone outed himself as a communist actively involved in a political project of subverting the military..."

I really wish they did a better job screening people BEFORE they enter the military.
    It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    An "other than honorable" is appropriate. That mentality is in direct conflict with the mentality required of any officer in the military.

Good riddance, and good for those who spoke up about his aberrant behavior.

However, since he just took the taxpayers for a ride (he retains his "Graduated from West Point" credentials), there are plenty of organizations out there who're more than willing to hire him. He did make it through the program and graduate, so barring any scandals like widespread cheating, they can't take that away from him.

Hmm... My gut tells me he's getting off easy. Is it not against the law for active subversives to attempt to infiltrate the U.S. Military?

"After Rapone outed himself as a communist actively involved in a political project of subverting the military..."

I really wish they did a better job screening people BEFORE they enter the military.
    It never said he did any of that stuff before joining the military.

The problem wasn't him getting off easy. He got the appropriate punishment for what he was charged with, but he was charged with far less than sedition or treason, which they would have needed to do to apply an appreciably harsher punishment. From looking at other sources about Rapone, it seems he wasn't charged with anything greater because they didn't have enough evidence to support the greater charges. There was a lot of disagreement as to whether or not he actively advocated or supported the overthrow of the US government, which would be necessary for charges of treason or sedition. It appears they simply went with what they had on hand to expediently rid themselves of the problem (him).

I seriously doubt a "graduated from West Point" moniker will gain him much considering what he did wrong would be far more likely to be known, and pointing out West Point would likely do more to uncover his activities rather than garner him any approval. It might help him get in the democratic party though.

Another aspect of this I got from another source is that he still retains his honorable discharge from when he was an enlisted person and is still entitled to VA treatment related to any injuries/conditions from his enlisted career. He'd need a special waiver from VA to get anything beyond that. I think that all should have been revoked, but it's probably not a scenario they ever envisioned when they wrote the rules.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws