what would you do?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what would you do??

My last trip "in country" was in 1972 as a 24 year old ssgt. I am 61 these days. He is a little on the young side to have been there with me.

We were all becoming eligible for the draft when I was in high school, and my best friend was a year ahead of me. He was top of his class honor student computer ace, and there were only green screens then. The recruiters told him he was going when he got out of school anyway, so he might as well sign up, and the Navy promised him they would teach him on state of the art machines, best computer programs in the world. Next thing he knew, he was forced into communications and sitting in a machine gun nest in Ethiopia guarding radio towers. from there he went to Spain and finished his hitch, but not before getting dissentary <sp having some intestines removed, and became an alcoholic. Moved to the woods in the north country and made furniture from trees for a while before losing his wife and kids who gave up on him. Pretty much ruined his life.

Now to sit and listen to him, he was in Vietnam (I know this isn't the case) and the stories become more far fetched every year. But he has gone over them so many times, he has actually lived them in his mind, and I believe he believes he did all these things he talks about. But one thing he NEVER gets wrong no matter how falling down drunk he is, are dates. He tells me about trips we took together and when and where right to the day, and he's always right on.

I'd maybe consider there are possibly underlying issues with the guy, and let it be. But that's just me.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

4. Listen to your wife

Listen to your wife. If you argue with everyone you meet that's full of crap, well, that's about all you'll have time to do. He was trying to IMPRESS you for some reason. If you can't let it go, try to figure out why this person needs others to believe these tall tales about him, especially you. In my experience people do that kind of stuff to try to make you LIKE then (though it usually does just the opposite).

Let it go. Don't make his problem your problem. I don't care if he's a wannabe or not. If he is, the world is loaded with them. More often than not, when one person tries to impress others, there's usually some BS involved. For most of us it's simply...been there, done that, 'nuff said!

You never know what some people will say or do next and neither do they!
    An ARMED individual is a CITIZEN! ...An UNARMED individual is a SUBJECT!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Old Zebra View Post
    Let it go. Don't make his problem your problem. I don't care if he's a wannabe or not. If he is, the world is loaded with them. More often than not, when one person tries to impress others, there's usually some BS involved. For most of us it's simply...been there, done that, 'nuff said!
    well said

8. My regular Schwann's man was sick so a replacement Schwann's man came... he told me all about his "secret missions" he did during Desert Storm and OIF I - III. How he was a bigtime operator and was called back because of his "abilities". He was just asked to do some test firing of Barrett's latest 50. I just let his B.S. roll and let him think I was buying it....

Oh, did I mention he works for Schwann's? Who knew they had a tactical element.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedDevilDogSoldier View Post
    My regular Schwann's man was sick so a replacement Schwann's man came... he told me all about his "secret missions" he did during Desert Storm and OIF I - III. How he was a bigtime operator and was called back because of his "abilities". He was just asked to do some test firing of Barrett's latest 50. I just let his B.S. roll and let him think I was buying it....

Oh, did I mention he works for Schwann's? Who knew they had a tactical element.
    I think its hilarious when non-military try to lie to me about what its like being in the military before they realize I AM military

OP, I usually just laugh it off when people try to lie to me about stuff like that. I can always tell the liars from the guys that were actually there; the ones that did it don't usually talk/brag about it.

Exclamation There is a special place in Hell

There is a special place in Hell for people who try and take the glory for the hard work and achievements of others. Forward Captain Jackass's name any service debunking website and let the fireworks begin.

When the dust settles look at Capt Jackass and in your best I'm sorry that sucked voice...tell him that if he ever lies about his service again that he can and will be brought up on FEDERAL CHARGES! There are laws to prevent people from claiming service that they did not endour and this guy is no exception.

Letting it go only eggs it on. Confronting someone although painful for those around lets the offender know that he has entered the no spn zone and that he is on thin ice.

From here forward I would call capt jackass "specops" or "ghost" or some other special operations video game callsign I could think of.

I have no love in my heart for those that take away from those that are true professionals.

It makes all of us that served look like morons in the eyes of those that have never served.

Call a spade a spade and call a turd a turd
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

this is a start

FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast