Out of state (Co) carry questions.....

Thread: Out of state (Co) carry questions.....

1. Out of state (Co) carry questions.....

Hi all, I have a few questions about how to carry or store my gun when I enter Minnesota on Thursday through Saturday (5/12-5/14) to retrieve an old car a buddy bought there.
    I live in Colorado and have had my CCW here for quite a few years now, but I noticed Minn. doesn't have reciprocity with Co. I looked around a bit to see what I need to do with my gun once I get to Minn, but all I could find was something about keeping it unloaded in a case "designed" for a gun while transporting it in a car.
    Does this mean I need to keep the loaded mag somewhere else? Or can it be stored in the case with the gun but not "in" the gun?
    Does the case "designed" for a gun need to be locked somehow? Do I need to know anything inparticular about the gun case? Or will any old case (hard or soft) for a gun work? And does the gun case need to be stored somewhere specific? Or can I just put it on the seat next to me or in the back?

Any help would be appreciated on this since I'll be heading out for your state tomorrow morning around 4 am.

Thanks!

3. One more question...... Can I carry in any way while I'm there? Or do you need a permit to open carry there as well?

Mistake post
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/minnesota.pdf

624.714 Carrying Of Weapons Without Permit; Penalties.
    Subd. 9 A permit to carry is not required of a person:
    (5) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

97B.045 Transportation of Firearms.
    Subdivision 1.Restrictions.
    A person may not transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
    (1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;
    (2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or
    (3) a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97B.045

The must be in a gun case - any gun case - $5.00 from the hardware store, and the case must be zippered or snapped closed, no requirement to be locked, and no requirement for the magazine to be unloaded or separated from the gun, just the gun unloaded. Or you can put the unloaded gun in the trunk.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Wow! Almost as draconian as Kali's laws. :-/
    Thanks NavyLT!
    I guess I'll bring along one of my handgun cases for the entry into Minnesota.

So if I'm driving a truck that has no "trunk" where do I store the gun? In the glove box?