Residency

Thread: Residency

Residency

I have a quick question about the twelve month residency requirement for obtaining a permit in MS. I plan on attending school in MS next year. I'm not 100% sure I'm moving there yet, but I am in the process of getting my Florida permit. If I have a non-resident Florida permit, can I bypass the twelve month residency requirement for the Mississippi permit? I think I also read somewhere that MS residents carrying on a non-resident permit from another state is currently in the air.

This law is quite unusual for me. If a Florida or other non-resident permit is not valid, that means I won't be allowed to carry in MS for a year! Some states require that you obtain their permit before a certain time period, not make you wait.

Any clarification would be great.

Miss. Code 45-9-101(2)(a) provides that the one-year residency requirement may be waived if "the applicant possesses a valid permit from another state, is active military personnel stationed in Mississippi or is a retired law enforcement officer establishing residency in the state[.]"
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.