New Group Forming in Montana
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Group Forming in Montana

New Group Forming in Montana

Hey y’all, I’m new to the site but not new to the cause! I wanted to let everyone here know about something starting in the Flathead Valley Area of Montana. Myself and a few other friends are in the process of starting a ‘club’ in our area here for Open Carriers and Concealed Carriers. The point of this organization is to promote the lawful and legal carry of firearms for self defense with focus on Open Carry. All carriers will be gladly welcomed! We also have a dual purpose of educating the General Public on the legality and hopefully the acceptability of carrying a firearm for defensive purposes.

This is a Non-Profit organization. We will be meeting occasionally at a local restaurant, probably once or twice a month and welcome anyone to attend these informal meetings. Any input from anyone, whether in or out of Montana, is greatly appreciated. If you’re travelling through this area feel free to drop me a line and some of us would be more than happy to meet you for coffee or eats. Any information and/or pointers from other such organizations are welcome as well as we’re a young and budding group!

Thanks for giving this a read! Stay safe and y’all keep up the great work!
    *In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!
    *Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!

We'll be meeting this next Monday, the 2nd of March at Perkin's in Kalispell if anyone wants to join! We'll start filing in at about 4:00 and will probably call it quits at about six or so! If anyone would like to attend, we would love to have you! OC or CC are welcome. Hope to see you there!
    Last edited by 40s&wfan; 02-27-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Put in wrong date at first, correct now!!
    *In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Here's a geewhiz question, what's the law say about carrying on the Flathead or Blackfoot reservations?

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    Here's a geewhiz question, what's the law say about carrying on the Flathead or Blackfoot reservations?
    To my knowledge (and don't quote me on this) you're allowed to carry openly anywhere in the state. Montana Codes Annotated doesn't say anything to the contrary about open carry. Concealed carry is also legal as far as state law allows for. I was told by Sheriff Jim Dupont, Ret. that even though it's considered 'Federal' property, it falls under the category of reciprocity meaning they allow it because it's in Montana but I also wonder at the same time, if they could restrict it. Could Federal Law override it if they wanted to? No city can make a law that overrides state law, but could that be different on a reservation?? Makes you wonder!

To answer your question, Yes it's legal to OC and CC on a reservation. My best answer though would be to call the Sheriff of those counties, Glacier and Lake, and ask them specifically! They could direct you better than I ever could!!

wolfhunter Guest
    Indian Reservations are soveriegn. You need to contact the tribal representatives and verify that they accept state law in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Indian Reservations are soveriegn. You need to contact the tribal representatives and verify that they accept state law in this matter.
    Fortunately not in the state of Montana!! It is allowed under state laws of reciprocity!!

JUST got off the phone with Bureau of Indian Affairs in the state here and they told me that a Montana CCW Permit is allowed on a reservation because the county has jurisdiction and therefore since the CCW Permit is issued by the county it is authorized! Tribal police cannot restrict it!!!!
    Last edited by 40s&wfan; 03-02-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Additional Information!

Just wanted to let everyone that might stumble across this know that we'll be having another 'Cuss & Discuss' at Perkin's in Kalispell Thursday April 2nd at 3:00 in the PM. Anyone who wishes to attend is more than welcome to do so. OC or CC if you'd like as that's what we're trying to promote and ultimately raise awareness of!
    Hope to see people there!!

Just wanted to let everyone that might stumble across this know that we'll be having another 'Cuss & Discuss' at Perkin's in Kalispell Thursday April 2nd at 3:00 in the PM. Anyone who wishes to attend is more than welcome to do so. OC or CC if you'd like as that's what we're trying to promote and ultimately raise awareness of!
    Hope to see people there!!

10. I'll be interested in hearing how your meeting went. I'm down by the University so it'd be a bit of a drive.... altho I did hit the gunshow up there today.

As an update to anyone wanting to attend, we'll be in the 'Party Room' on the east end of the restaurant. I hope to see any and all wishing to attend! Again, feel free to either OC or CC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast