just got my motorcycle license. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just got my motorcycle license.

Agree with most here. I ride a 2004 yamaha r1. I don't get that attitude luckily. But I do have to explain regularly that it's better to be slightly aggressive on a motorcycle than to ride neutral or defensive.

congratulations on getting your liscense> The freedom of the open road is something they would not understand. Hence the saying If I had to explain you wouldn't understand. I have over 300,000 miles on 2 wheels and always carry. You will find idiots in whatever you do and this person was just one of many. You will also find some that love to look and talk bikes and will strike up a conversation with strangers. Enjoy your ride for yourself. FLHTPI/FLSTC/FXSTC are mine

Not really much different than dealing with Anti-gunners, except unless you are open carrying they don't know that you have a gun..
    When I was little my dad and I were out on his Honda 550/4 at K-Mart.. We were getting ready to get on the bike and two elderly ladies suddenly saw us and jumped and started walking farther around us (My dad was about 58 at the time) My dad spoke out to them and said.. Ladies.. MY bike don't make no noise and he starts it up.. The ladies even responded and agreed it was very quiet.. He changed two minds that day..
    I'm glad to report after years and years of riding "quiet" bikes, my dad never did get in an accident on a bike..
    SO, just like if someone made an anti-gun comment to you, try to say something that challenges their thinking rather than pissing them off..

The Yellow one's my ride!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    It only make sense to drive it because i can practically park it anywhere and be able to go home ahead of the crowd.
    You "drive" your motorcycle?
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Sadly they weren't joking and I didn't say anything, I just payed my bill got on my bike and rode off. My little yamaha isn't that loud and it's small. People never see me on the road and that's why the clutch and horn are my best friend.

As for the heckler at the station, he needs his arse whupped until it learns a little respect for people. People like that are the thugs that they complain about. As for people ignoring you on the rode I can tell you from both sides it is true that they do not see you. People are looking out for cars and a motorcycle does not register in the brain. It isn't anything purposeful or anything else other than they really just do not see you. I remember back from high school physics discussing how a person uses the two headlights of a car and the width between them to judge the speed and distance of an oncoming car. A motorcycle only has one so it is harder in day or night. Be careful and safe, have fun but remember that in an accident with a car you are probably going to get the worse end of the deal no matter who is in the right.

BTW, I seldom ride any more other than my ATV but I have had a motorcycle license for over 40 years.

Ignore the Cretans, they are jealous of your gas milege, 3-5 gallon tanks are fun at the pump....

I'm 6'4", wear black leathers, dark sunglasses, full black helmet when I ride, no one bothers me, I credit card it at the pump and get a receipt, don't want to be charged as a drive away so I want proof....

N just as CCW when riding the bike drive as though every one wants to kill you.... watch those hubcaps on stopped cars you can see them move (rotate) long before you will be able to actually see the vehicle creeping out...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Been riding 43 years. I've always considered myself "invisible" when riding, that and loud pipes,has always worked for me. Never have had anyone give me any lip, I think they just knew better. And always remember, "you don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding".
    The scariest words in all existence
    "Depart From Me, I Never Knew You"
    - Matthew 7:23 -

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    People are looking out for cars and a motorcycle does not register in the brain. It isn't anything purposeful or anything else other than they really just do not see you.
    We all do it..

|
    |
    |
    V
    V

OK.. Try it again...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I have seen both those videos before and I will admit that I failed miserably on both almost when it was pointed out to me. Both are very good examples of how we do not see motorcycles on the highways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast