Nebraska Reciprocity Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nebraska Reciprocity Question

1. Nebraska Reciprocity Question

I am trying to be legal when I travel to Nebraska. I have a Resident CCW from Colorado and also carry Utah. Unfortunately, neither is recognized in NE. If I get my AZ Non-Resident CCW, will this cover me? Does Nebraska recognize the AZ CCW regardless of resident/non-resident? Thanks

T.I.

Already answered last week...

Quote Originally Posted by tweintraub View Post
    I am trying to be legal when I travel to Nebraska. I have a Resident CCW from Colorado and also carry Utah. Unfortunately, neither is recognized in NE. If I get my AZ Non-Resident CCW, will this cover me? Does Nebraska recognize the AZ CCW regardless of resident/non-resident?
    We went through this in an earlier thread, NE does not honor ANY CCW but their own. There is NO recognition or reciprocity of out of State CCWs in NE. This is stated on the NE State Patrol concealed handgun FAQ.

The only way you can legally carry in NE if you are not a NE resident with a valid NE CHP is if you have qualified for the federal LEOSA.

Recognition and reciprocity in NE needs to be addressed in a future NE legislative session. Getting legal civilian CCW in NE was the first hurdle because of Ernie Chambers.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

4. Thanks

Great information. I certainly appreciate the explanation. Cheers T.I.

The issue of Nebraska not recognizing CC permits issued by other states, especially border states, is starting to tick some people off. Kansas will recognize a Nebraska CC permit but Nebraska won't recognize a Kansas CCHL. There's a growing sentiment that if we are not allowed to carry while visiting or traveling through Nebraska, Kansas should not recognize a Nebraska carry permit either. Personally I would not want to deprive anybody the right of self defense but don't be surprised if in the next couple of years a lobby group moves to prevent Nebraskans from carrying in our state. I won't jump on the bandwagon but I have some friends that might. Hopefully. the good people of Nebraska will exert some pressure on their state govenment to allow nonresidents with legal carry permits in their home state to protect themselves.

I think the bottom line is that antigun people would love to see us fall apart while arguing about gun rights. I also suspect there are those in our state governments who are actively working to keep us apart. I don't intend to let them win.
    Last edited by BearTaylor; 03-03-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Again, it's a legislative issue. The original CCW bill had no provision for recognition or reciprocity with other States. An OH style reciprocity statute would work. Question is which States would qualify. What will likely happen is that they'll reciprocate or recognize States that are substantially similar to their own issuance criteria.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Nebraska Reciprocity

The Nebraska Legislature passed LB 430, which will allow reciprocity of other states, removed residense requirement for military personnel and ect. We have a ways to go but are happy with LB 430. Should be in effect approximatily Septermber 1, 2009.

Thanks Lefty. We have already alerted the Missouri Attorney General's Office about LB 430.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    The Nebraska Legislature passed LB 430, which will allow reciprocity of other states, removed residense requirement for military personnel etc.
    Approved by Governor on May 19, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Approved by Governor on May 19, 2009
    We should know very soon, which states will be honored!

LB 430 is in effect!

We should know in the next few days which states are on Nebraska's reciprocity list.

LB 430 is law as of today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast