school property question
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: school property question

  1. school property question

    With a valid permit is it legal to have your gun locked (secured in a locked box) in your car while on school property.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Bors View Post
    With a valid permit is it legal to have your gun locked (secured in a locked box) in your car while on school property.
    This cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. There are different issues here that need to be addressed.

    First, a permit is not required for Nevadans to have firearms in our vehicles in Nevada, Nevada allows it's citizens to be armed in our vehicles and in our homes. As well, the firearm is not required to be locked up in a compartment in our cars. It can be out in the open such as on the dash or in a rifle rack. The firearm is not allowed to be cc on our person while we are in our cars unless we have a valid cc permit. This is what I was taught. I hope it's correct because that is how I do it.

    Second, as for having a firearm in your vehicle on school property, here is what the Nevada Revised Statute says:

    Quote:

    NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

    1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:

    (a) An explosive or incendiary device;

    (b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;

    (c) A nunchaku or trefoil;

    (d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;

    (e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or

    (f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.

    2. Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

    3. This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of:

    (a) A private or public school or child care facility by a:

    (1) Peace officer;

    (2) School security guard; or

    (3) Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school or the person designated by a child care facility to give permission to carry or possess the weapon.

    (b) A child care facility which is located at or in the home of a natural person by the person who owns or operates the facility so long as the person resides in the home and the person complies with any laws governing the possession of such a weapon.

    4. The provisions of this section apply to a child care facility located at or in the home of a natural person only during the normal hours of business of the facility.

    5. For the purposes of this section:

    (a) “Child care facility” means any child care facility that is licensed pursuant to chapter 432A of NRS or licensed by a city or county.

    (b) “Firearm” includes any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.

    (c) “Nunchaku” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.

    (d) “Switchblade knife” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.

    (e) “Trefoil” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.

    (f) “Vehicle” has the meaning ascribed to “school bus” in NRS 484.148.

    (Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806; 2007, 1913)

    Unquote.

  4. No, it is not legal to have a loaded firearm on those designated properties. That's my opinion.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

    -Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

  5. #4
    So , even though I have a valid Non-Resident Nevada CCW permit, I must leave my firearm at home if I have to drive my grandkids to their elementary school and just drop them off, and never get out of my private vehicle?

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by browningr View Post
    So , even though I have a valid Non-Resident Nevada CCW permit, I must leave my firearm at home if I have to drive my grandkids to their elementary school and just drop them off, and never get out of my private vehicle?
    You run into the Gun Free School Zone issue...where only a holder of a permit issued by the state that the school zone is in is exempted....

  7. No guns at school and need to check north las vegas & boulder city the only way you can have a gun loaded in you car is with a ccw and nlv the only time you can take your guns is from your home is to the range and back home you can not just ride around nlv or boulder city with a gun in the car s

  8. #7
    I appreciate a chance to dialogue and learn. I also like to know the rules so I don't inadvertantly break the law and loose those few freedoms that remain. Some questions for responses.

    Where would I find the law/rule/precedence that provides a resident permit holder (and not a non-resident permit holder) a "pass" on part of the Gun Free Zone (GFZ) law that would allow the permit holder to have a loaded gun in their vehicle on school property?

    I read ithat the state of Nevada passed a "Preemption Law' in October 2007 that effectively prevents counties and municipalities from passing laws/ordinances like the strict gun rules mentioned in this thread for North Las Vegas. True?

    I read recently that their was an appeals court decision regarding a Texas case that basically ruled the GFZ Law violated the constitution because it does not deal with interstate commerce. True or internet rumor?

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by browningr View Post
    I appreciate a chance to dialogue and learn. I also like to know the rules so I don't inadvertantly break the law and loose those few freedoms that remain. Some questions for responses.

    Where would I find the law/rule/precedence that provides a resident permit holder (and not a non-resident permit holder) a "pass" on part of the Gun Free Zone (GFZ) law that would allow the permit holder to have a loaded gun in their vehicle on school property?

    I read ithat the state of Nevada passed a "Preemption Law' in October 2007 that effectively prevents counties and municipalities from passing laws/ordinances like the strict gun rules mentioned in this thread for North Las Vegas. True?

    I read recently that their was an appeals court decision regarding a Texas case that basically ruled the GFZ Law violated the constitution because it does not deal with interstate commerce. True or internet rumor?

    Not "ON" the school property...but in the school zone...1000' from the school proper.

    GFSZ Paragraph (2)(B)(ii) is the exception for permit holders

    At the top you can see the Act was originally overturned in 1995 and "reworded" and re-enacted in 1996.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast