Traveling and stopping in Las Vegas. Help?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling and stopping in Las Vegas. Help?!?

Traveling and stopping in Las Vegas. Help?!?

Hi Guys,

I am in NY, and will have a NY CFP, as well as a UT and FL CFP. I am planning a trip next fall cross country, and one of the stops is in Las Vegas, NV. Other than NV, I have reciprocity for the entire trip with the states that I [will] have by then.

What are the laws regarding traveling through, and stopping in Las Vegas? If I am reading this correctly, I am simply not allowed to carry concealed, nor have the weapon on my person in the vehicle. Since it is not worth it for me to travel all the way across the country beforehand, just to get a NV CFP, I would be fine with simply locking up my weapon when in Vegas.

Am I correct in assuming that it would be legal for me to travel through NV with the weapon unloaded in my trunk, or loaded off my person, and then either open carry into my room where I will lock it up in the safe, or put it in my luggage unloaded, and do the same?

If you go to handgunlaw.us and click on the state of Nevada, they have Nevada gun law including carry in a car or RV.

Keith

check north las vegas, I think they don't allow carry in car.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I never said anything about carrying in the vehicle, I said off my person or in the trunk.

When you get to Nevada, take your loaded handgun off your person and toss it under the seat, in the pocket of your car door, or in your glove compartment--you'll be legal.
    The concerns about North Las Vegas and Boulder City are over; they have to conform to NV law.
    Open Carry is also legal here.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Like NDS said open carry is legal, even on the strip.

8. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    When I took the Nevada CFP class, that is exactly what they told me. Do not take a chance!
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

9. Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am in NY, and will have a NY CFP, as well as a UT and FL CFP. I am planning a trip next fall cross country, and one of the stops is in Las Vegas, NV. Other than NV, I have reciprocity for the entire trip with the states that I [will] have by then.

What are the laws regarding traveling through, and stopping in Las Vegas? If I am reading this correctly, I am simply not allowed to carry concealed, nor have the weapon on my person in the vehicle. Since it is not worth it for me to travel all the way across the country beforehand, just to get a NV CFP, I would be fine with simply locking up my weapon when in Vegas.

Am I correct in assuming that it would be legal for me to travel through NV with the weapon unloaded in my trunk, or loaded off my person, and then either open carry into my room where I will lock it up in the safe, or put it in my luggage unloaded, and do the same?
    My understanding when I took the Nevada CFP class is it's legal to carry a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's not on your person. It can't be on you or in a backpack, but it can be in the glove compartment.

Check to make sure on this. I have a nonresident permit, so I can carry it anywhere within Nevada law. Your UT and FL are worthless there as you know. I have those permits, just like you do. Open carry in Nevada is legal because there is no law that states that it isn't. Be careful if you decide to go that route. While I stand for what the open carry people believe in, you are going to be met with resistance if you carry on the Las Vegas strip or downtown Reno.

I contacted Karen Fraley awhile back, at that time Reno's Deputy City Attorney and this is her response about open carry:

Firearms are regulated by the State of Nevada and local jurisdictions
    may only regulate the unlawful discharge of a firearm within the City
    limits. I am unaware of any state statute that would prohibit an
    individual carrying a firearm in a holster openly displayed. There are,
    however, state statutes prohibiting firearms in certain locations. You
    may wish to refer to NRS for further.

Businesses can, of course, regulate whether firearms are permitted
    within their businesses.

I think you can expect an officer to talk to you should one see you
    walking down the street with a firearm in a holster. It is also highly
    likely that citizens would call in to report an individual with a
    firearm, causing a police response. Normally, those who wish to be
    armed obtain a CCW permit and simply carry it concealed, which causes
    much less concern on the part of citizens and officers.

Karen S. Fraley
    Deputy City Attorney
    Legal Advisor - Reno Police Department

I know that this is Reno, but Las Vegas is tougher. The Attorney General is not too far from Reno and she share the same attitude. She is not a gun friendly person.

Be careful whatever you decide!

GOOD LUCK!!
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    When you get to Nevada, take your loaded handgun off your person and toss it under the seat, in the pocket of your car door, or in your glove compartment--you'll be legal.
    The concerns about North Las Vegas and Boulder City are over; they have to conform to NV law.
    Open Carry is also legal here.
    NDS is right. The NRS have changed and North Las Vegas and Boulder City now have to conform with the statutes mandated for the entire state.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    I never said anything about carrying in the vehicle, I said off my person or in the trunk.
    Hate to interject, but you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle if it is not your person. You can keep it in your glove compartment. You can't keep it in a backpack or fanny pack, however.

Check the Nevada laws to make sure but that's what I was taught. Watch out for Clark County and North Las Vegas. They do not go by the current laws the state mandates. Be careful!

Be safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast