CCW Handgun Qualifying
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Handgun Qualifying

CCW Handgun Qualifying

I qualified my handgun, yesterday, and found htat the qualifying has changed.
    Now you have to:
    Shoot 6 round strong hand at 9ft.
    Shoot 12 round strong hand at 15ft.
    Shoot 12 rounds strong hand at 21ft
    You must score at least a 70% on a B27 target.
    If you hit the target outside the 7 area you have to attempt to requalify at some other time.

Quote Originally Posted by nurseorange View Post
    Now you have to:
    If you hit the target outside the 7 area you have to attempt to requalify at some other time.
    That is strange. I qualified on May 21, and I:

shot 6 rounds with right hand at 5 yards
    shot 6 rounds with left hand at 5 yards
    shot 12 rounds at 7 yards
    shot 12 rounds at 15 yards

The passing score is the same. I don't think it is uniform standards. I qualified on one gun, and the person stopped the clock when I reloaded. When I went to qualify on other gun, different guy observed, and he kept clock running during the reload time.

man that is BS in the nth degree

Quote Originally Posted by nurseorange View Post
    Now you have to:
    I'm not sure I understand.

Here are the REAL requirements from the NSCA: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Do...dards_2010.pdf

The Nevada make great sense to me whereas the dumb California has a 15 yard qualification which brings to bear the question of what situation is a CCW permittee expecting to shooting at 15 yards? Other than a target of course...
    Glock Armorer, Remington 870 Armorer
    UTAH: 1 Florida:1 NH:1 Nevada:0 California:1 PA:1

7. Quote Originally Posted by gschoelles View Post
    The Nevada make great sense to me whereas the dumb California has a 15 yard qualification which brings to bear the question of what situation is a CCW permittee expecting to shooting at 15 yards? Other than a target of course...
    All I know is if I'm 15 yards away from a potentially life threatening situation, I'm taking the avoidance route.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

NV ccw instructors can set their own requirements, as long as they meet the minimum. Consequently, some have made it more difficult, while making you buy their overpriced ammo, so you have to keep buying ammo until you pass (imo).
    Not saying that is the motive behind your instructor using those guidelines. But they can do it for whatever reason they want. I used my own ammo and shot two handed with no special requirements

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    NV ccw instructors can set their own requirements, as long as they meet the minimum. Consequently, some have made it more difficult, while making you buy their overpriced ammo, so you have to keep buying ammo until you pass (imo).
    Not saying that is the motive behind your instructor using those guidelines. But they can do it for whatever reason they want. I used my own ammo and shot two handed with no special requirements
    Uh, you might want to review the NEVADA CONCEALED HANDGUN TRAINING STANDARDS, Revised May 24, 2010 by the NVSCA. See http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Do...dards_2010.pdf
    The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association (NVSCA) establishes the minimum training
    standards required for the issue and renewal of carry concealed handgun permits (CCW)
    It does say:
    All of these standards are a minimum requirement, nothing precludes an instructor from providing additional training.
    Note it says instructors can provide "additional TRAINING." It doesn't say instructors can make additional requirements.

For example, it says:
    A humanoid style target such as the B27, B21 or FBI Q shall be used.
    Could an instructor use a 3" bullseye target at, lets say, 50 yards and require a 70% or greater score? No, I think not.

Another example, could an instructor add 100 questions to the written exam and virtually require a law degree to pass it? No, I think not.

Bottom line: If your instructor is adding some goofy requirement, I recommend notifying the NSCA and finding another, more reasonable, instructor.

And/or, notify me. I am the first civilian to be appointed to the NSCA Sub Committee (appointed last year) - and I could bring it to the committee's attention.

For part of our training we shot 5 yards with eyes closed, and I am not ikidding. Everybody hit the target.

11. Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I think the instructors can give additional training, not set additional requirements. If applicants pass the minimum requirements set by the NVSCA, it's a done deal.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast