Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville

First of all on that day like I said after he yelled and cursed at me and I was going to qualify with 3 guns I was so disgusted with it I just went with the 1 gun and stopped. I can't speak for anyone else but I think everyone was just trying to get through the morning and get it over with. Now what I heard about 2 months ago I heard that an elderly woman called the store that the training academy works out of and said she was going to sue them due to sexual harrasment, but I dont know if thats true.Since that time that store has gotten rid of "DOC" thats why he is starting his own academy. However I do know that when me and my brother went back to N.F.T.A. and like I said Mike made it right with us when we went to the range there was another guy there and when we got on the subject of "DOC" He proceeded to tell us of him flirting with another female shooter quite a few months back. He asked if her husband knew what she was doing, asking her if she would cheat on her husband with him and staring etc etc. She finally informed him that her husband had past away from cancer and from what the guy said "That still didn't shut him up".

3. First a disclaimer. My intent is not to mock the poster merely to point out bad instructors and why they exist.
    So what are you going to do about this? Most likely nothing. I have been around a few forums where people talk about instructors doing this and that and they won't even post who it is there because of some reason or another blah blah blah. These instructors exist ONLY because no one knows how bad they are and the ones that do come in here to complain and won't do anything about it. This forum and others like it have nothing to do with the instructors being able to instruct. Even if it isn't a complaint that warrents the removal of the persons ability to teach it would still help put them on notice to shape up or help with the removal later on if the proper people know about it. What does it say about a sheriff who signs these individuals off and keeps them on the approved list after several complaints?
    I have witnessed 10 people on the line with 1 instructor and 5 useless RSOs playing grab ass while a student walks behind another with a loaded weapon. I have seen 10 people shooting for qualification on 4 targets and the wrong to boot that were not changed out and they were leaving the range at 1300 for an 8hr course they started at 0800. Improper qualification from not enough rounds to not enough points,this was from an NRA instructor taking a CCW course from another instructor. TOO MANY people in forums saying instructors said they can't open carry period or once they have a CC permit.
    If we do not hold the instructors to a higher standard then we put all permits in jeopardy. It's only going to take someone with an agenda (ie brady plant, investigative reporter) to run through a course by one of these people note the problems and then make life hell for everyone. Some of the sheriffs are to blame as there have been many complaints but no action taken I guess they like the $60 bucks from 40 people come Mon. am better than the hassle of investigating a complaint. Why is there no requirement for continuing education for instructors? It only takes 20 hrs of NRA training, 10 as a student and 10 as an instructor, to get your certificate in basic pistol. Which has absolutely nothing to do with defensive pistol use. You have weekend warriors, gunshop commandos and unemployed construction workers being firearms instructors because as I have been told it's easy money. They do it for cut rate prices driving the market value down to where it is non profitable for real instructors. DONE. I will appologise now if I have offended.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MrBadwrench View Post
    First of all on that day like I said after he yelled and cursed at me and I was going to qualify with 3 guns I was so disgusted with it I just went with the 1 gun and stopped. I can't speak for anyone else but I think everyone was just trying to get through the morning and get it over with. Now what I heard about 2 months ago I heard that an elderly woman called the store that the training academy works out of and said she was going to sue them due to sexual harrasment, but I dont know if thats true.Since that time that store has gotten rid of "DOC" thats why he is starting his own academy. However I do know that when me and my brother went back to N.F.T.A. and like I said Mike made it right with us when we went to the range there was another guy there and when we got on the subject of "DOC" He proceeded to tell us of him flirting with another female shooter quite a few months back. He asked if her husband knew what she was doing, asking her if she would cheat on her husband with him and staring etc etc. She finally informed him that her husband had past away from cancer and from what the guy said "That still didn't shut him up".
    I think that you should report him to the Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association. They can set up a review and revoke his privileges if deemed necessary. After all, they're the ones who set up the training requirements for issuance of CCW permits.
    Last edited by calmp9; 09-23-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Hey gunrunner1911 I did name who the instructor was in the 1st post. I have contacted local entitys and the N.R.A. but I feel that posting it on a forum like this might do some good also.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MrBadwrench View Post
    Hey gunrunner1911 I did name who the instructor was in the 1st post. I have contacted local entitys and the N.R.A. but I feel that posting it on a forum like this might do some good also.

While it's good to report Doc to the appropriate governing bodies, it's even more effective to post the incident here in this forum. I would even consider concealedcarry.net, defensivecarry.com, and U.S. Concealed Carry Association (if you're a member of the United States Concealed Carry Association).

Now, a lot of people are going to know and will stay clear.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

My CCW class was the best instruction in firearms I have ever received to date here in Reno, NV. The instructor is Mike Motta, and he runs Semper Firearms Training of Northern Nevada. Great teacher, very knowledgeable, very professional, courteous, safety of highest priority, and a Marine without the drill instructor attitude.

My 21 year-old daughter qualified at the top of the class and aced the written test. She had only a minimal amount of weapons training from me. Now she is telling me what I occasionally do wrong. Now she is the one with the drill instructor attitude.

I had also heard of a terrible instructor from a colleague. We contacted the Washoe County Sheriff's Office and they said that a formal written complaint must be sent to the Sheriff's office with the details before anything will be done about the person's license to teach CCW classes. They will not act on hearsay alone, but they do want to know about questionable instructors who should not be teaching the wrong stuff to potential CCW holders.

J.

9. Quote Originally Posted by 1015811414 View Post
    My CCW class was the best instruction in firearms I have ever received to date here in Reno, NV. The instructor is Mike Motta, and he runs Semper Firearms Training of Northern Nevada. Great teacher, very knowledgeable, very professional, courteous, safety of highest priority, and a Marine without the drill instructor attitude.

My 21 year-old daughter qualified at the top of the class and aced the written test. She had only a minimal amount of weapons training from me. Now she is telling me what I occasionally do wrong. Now she is the one with the drill instructor attitude.
    My brother and I also went with Mike. The guy is good, plain and simple. He's all about survival and staying alive, not just making money. I like his classroom setup too. I originally set up for the private class in his classroom, but he asked if it was okay if someone could come in the afternoon for a renewal. No biggie, so he gave us the group class rate.

We're going to contact him for some more live fire qualifications pretty soon and we definitely want to take his Tactical One class.

By the way, I heard that Semper Firearms and Maccabee Firearms are going to be at the Crossroads of The West Gun Show October 25-26 at The Reno Convention Center. I am going to hit that one, I think.

10. Quote Originally Posted by 1015811414 View Post
    I had also heard of a terrible instructor from a colleague. We contacted the Washoe County Sheriff's Office and they said that a formal written complaint must be sent to the Sheriff's office with the details before anything will be done about the person's license to teach CCW classes. They will not act on hearsay alone, but they do want to know about questionable instructors who should not be teaching the wrong stuff to potential CCW holders.

J.
    If he's bad, then you have to let us know who it is. It's important for people to stay clear of this instructor. What did he do exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    If he's bad, then you have to let us know who it is. It's important for people to stay clear of this instructor. What did he do exactly?
    Sorry, I have been down and out for awhile. Illness. I am doing much better now, back to 100%. Anyway, the things done wrong are: not having enough range safety people (2) for the number of students qualifying (50+ students per class). Giving the students an answer sheet to the written test before handing out the written test. Qualifying students on firearms proficiency though not having actually observed the student with the said type of firearm. On several occasions, the student did not have the firearm in possession to qualify with and the "instructor" entered that gun, usually revolvers, as having actually observed the qualification.

The instructor(s): Armed & Safe in Reno, NV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast