Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville

Firearm training in Reno/Carson/Gardnerville

Just for your information if you are looking for CCW instruction/training I would advise you NOT to go with Liberty Certified Firearms Training instucted by Dwayne Cottom "Doc" is what he goes by. He was affiliated with Nevada Firearms Training Academy. I took the course earlier this year and "Doc" was the instructor . I was going to qualify with 3 guns and after the 1st round I have had enough. Not professional at all and I especially felt bad for the women that were there trying to qualify. Just a really BAD experience. However the guys at Nevada Firearms Training Academy especially Mike Ford made it right. So if you are looking where to go I would go with them

3. Quote Originally Posted by MrBadwrench View Post
    Just for your information if you are looking for CCW instruction/training I would advise you NOT to go with Liberty Certified Firearms Training instucted by Dwayne Cottom "Doc" is what he goes by. He was affiliated with Nevada Firearms Training Academy. I took the course earlier this year and "Doc" was the instructor . I was going to qualify with 3 guns and after the 1st round I have had enough. Not professional at all and I especially felt bad for the women that were there trying to qualify. Just a really BAD experience. However the guys at Nevada Firearms Training Academy especially Mike Ford made it right. So if you are looking where to go I would go with them
    Just asking, but why was this a problem? You have to elaborate further on your experience. You tell people that the instructor is bad but you don't say why or what happened. For all we know, you were the problem. Maybe you didn't comply with his instructions, who knows?

Give us a full description of the situation.

Thanks!
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by MrBadwrench View Post
    I see that this is your first post on USA Carry, MrBadwrench. Welcome aboard!

Anyway, sorry you had such a bad experience at this place. However, could you please elaborate on what happened that made this such a bad experience for you? All you say is that he wasn't professional (whatever that means) and that you felt bad for the women (without saying why).

Sorry the first thing was during the class room training he would say that during the range portion of the training that the weapons should all be pointing down range. On the morning at the range even before the range meeting he had asked all of us to bring our weapons to the table chambers open etc. Well I walked up with the barrel pointed down range like he instructed and he started yelling at me he told me that the barrel should be pointed up when you are in the range. Now granted I was in a class with 3 other guys and 4 women and we were all doing the same thing. He then instructed us to now load your magazines so we stepped up I loaded my sp101 the girl next to me was loading her .38 special. Once we were done we stepped back and he starts yelling and cursing at me telling me that if I screw up again I am out of there.Believe me it took all I had to hold my composure and tell him to F- Off so needless to say I qualified with 1 gun and I didn't care if it was gonna cost me more but I would go somewhere else. All of the people that were there were going to qualify at least 2 guns but now he made a already nervous situation worse. So now I just sat and watched the rest unravell. Making offcolor remarks toward the women, walking around to the side of the truck and urinating, and this was the last straw for me was watching him slap a shooters hand while he heald a LOADED WEAPON. That was not cool at all. And thats the main reason I started the thread.

Yes, Mr Badwrench but what are the details on this guy. Was he just a boor, didn't know his stuff, overbearing/over-testosteroned?

I think you've defined the total unprofessional there. Sounds like he should have his instructors license revoked. I've taught martial arts for over ten years and have never treated a person that way. Shame on him!

Just really unprofessional. He made what could have been a safe and fun experience into a very uncomfortable,subdued and nervous experience. We were there close to 2 hours and after the first 20 minutes non of us wanted to be there. The longer we were there the less you wanted to be. When I went back to shoot my other guns with 2 other instructors I had a great experience. And will surely go back to N.F.T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplites1234 View Post
    Yes, Mr Badwrench but what are the details on this guy. Was he just a boor, didn't know his stuff, overbearing/over-testosteroned?
    You don't think he pretty much covered it all already?

10. Quote Originally Posted by MrBadwrench View Post
    Sorry the first thing was during the class room training he would say that during the range portion of the training that the weapons should all be pointing down range. On the morning at the range even before the range meeting he had asked all of us to bring our weapons to the table chambers open etc. Well I walked up with the barrel pointed down range like he instructed and he started yelling at me he told me that the barrel should be pointed up when you are in the range. Now granted I was in a class with 3 other guys and 4 women and we were all doing the same thing. He then instructed us to now load your magazines so we stepped up I loaded my sp101 the girl next to me was loading her .38 special. Once we were done we stepped back and he starts yelling and cursing at me telling me that if I screw up again I am out of there.Believe me it took all I had to hold my composure and tell him to F- Off so needless to say I qualified with 1 gun and I didn't care if it was gonna cost me more but I would go somewhere else. All of the people that were there were going to qualify at least 2 guns but now he made a already nervous situation worse. So now I just sat and watched the rest unravell. Making offcolor remarks toward the women, walking around to the side of the truck and urinating, and this was the last straw for me was watching him slap a shooters hand while he heald a LOADED WEAPON. That was not cool at all. And thats the main reason I started the thread.
    Thank you for eleborating on your experience. It sounds like a bad one. How did the others handle the situation? I mean, you mentioned that he made remarks to the women. What did he say to them and how did they take it? Did he yell at anybody else?

If he is that bad, others should be bringing his name up. It will come out eventually.
    Last edited by calmp9; 09-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

11. Bill Jeans with Morrogan Con.He is the best I have seen.He is a great guy and even better teacher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast