2009 Nevada Legislative Session Starts Today - AB46, BDR 138, BDR 15--200, BDR 15--25 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Nevada Legislative Session Starts Today - AB46, BDR 138, BDR 15--200, BDR 15--25

Naw, it was a bill in Bernie's Judiciary Cmte. I just cannot remember the bill number right now.

Email, letters, telephone calls DO help - sometimes a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    BDR-15-200. Will probably NOT go anywhere since Mr Heck is no longer in the Senate - unless someone else takes up the bill.
    Probably not.

Dr. Heck shot himself in the foot because of his involvement in passing Nevada medical malpractice cap legislation. He was also in Iraq during the Vegas Endoscopy Center scare and wasn't around to address the issue to his constituents. While I respect his military service; having over 40K patients with some of them in your district wanting answers and not being around to address can cost you an election and it appears it did. I also wasn't happy with him refusing to disclose the details of his BDR to me.
    BDR 15-255. Again, waiting on the BDR to become a bill so we can review it. I have high hopes for it.
    I travel to MO regularly and they have a saying there, "show me." I'm not sure that Assemblyperson Mortensen is aware we already have a castle doctrine under the justifiable homicide statutes plus NRS 41.095. If the bill essentially already says the same thing that we already have then it was a waste of time and paper to BDR. If it's a form of the FL, IN or MO stand your ground statutes then I am all for that. I have heard that LVMPD is against it which may be a good thing.
    747 Assemblyman Gustavson. Provides for an additional special license plate indicating support for rights guaranteed pursuant to the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This one sounds good! And it isn't "feel good" crap - special license plates do raise $$$ for the state (I'm told.)
    While it sounds like a conceptually good idea I don't need a "steal or break into me" plate on my vehicles. It's also a "pull me over" plate if you're dealing with anti-RKBA LEOs or driving through an anti-RKBA jurisdiction. A bad idea from a personal security and privacy standpoint.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I am a "show me" person myself - in more ways than one. I was born & raised in Missouri.

It has been said that current NV law (in regard to Castle Doctrine) isn't real bad, but it needs to be BETTER.

I continue to have high hopes for Asm Mortenson's Castle Doctrine bill.

New BDRs

• 1155; Assembly Committee on Judiciary; Revises provisions governing the ownership or possession of firearms.
      If it has Bernie Anderson's name on it, it's almost guaranteed bad for us. There was a withdrawn BDR from the Assembly Judiciary Committee pertaining to the same subject; 763.

BDR Status Updates

• 15--200; Revises provisions regarding the carrying of a concealed firearm
      Now sponsored by Assemblyman Segerblom. Former State Senator Heck would only tell me the NRA backs this bill I am dubious of it. Segerblom has a C rating with the NRA. Segerblom is also now the vice-chair of the Assembly Judiciary Committee. Keep in mind the NRA endorsed Assemblyperson Kirkpatrick last election who threw us under the bus for the child care facility prohibition with SB354 during the last legislative session.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    BDR Status Updates

• 15--200; Revises provisions regarding the carrying of a concealed firearm
      Now sponsored by Assemblyman Segerblom. Former State Senator Heck would only tell me the NRA backs this bill I am dubious of it. Segerblom has a C rating with the NRA. Segerblom is also now the vice-chair of the Assembly Judiciary Committee. Keep in mind the NRA endorsed Assemblyperson Kirkpatrick last election who threw us under the bus for the child care facility prohibition with SB354 during the last legislative session.
    It's now AB230.

It does nothing for civilian NV CFP holders it only compels the county sheriff to perform LEOSA certifications at least twice a year. I know that LVMPD has delegated LEOSA firearm qualifications to NV CFP instructors. The CCW detail performs the investigation to see if the retired LEO indeed qualifies for LEOSA.

I don't know the motivation behind this bill. It does not harm us presently though. Keep in mind AB230 may be amended at any time so it can hurt us.

AB288; Castle doctrine/weak stand your ground law

Contact your Nevada legislators and let them know you support this bill.

BDR 15-255 (AB288)

Looks like a winner to me. It's also a weak stand your ground statute. It specifically extends the castle doctrine to your place of business, employment and any motor vehicle vehicle you may be in (airplante, auto, boat or motorcycle) and also statutory removes the duty to retreat. It also has a long list of sponsors. The introduction to the bill borrows some concepts of Texas law.

8. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Contact your Nevada legislators and let them know you support this bill.

BDR 15-255 (AB288)

Looks like a winner to me. It's also a weak stand your ground statute. It specifically extends the castle doctrine to your place of business, employment and any motor vehicle vehicle you may be in (airplante, auto, boat or motorcycle) and also statutory removes the duty to retreat. It also has a long list of sponsors. The introduction to the bill borrows some concepts of Texas law.
    Any news on BDR-138?
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Any news on BDR-138?
    Nope. Hasn't been assigned a bill number yet. I don't know if Bernie Anderson has any say over if a bill will be assigned a bill number.

10. Cool Texas Reciprocity?

Any word on Reciprocity with Texas? You can use your concealed carry here. We'd like to be able to do the same in Nevada.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by n0vnm View Post
    Any word on Reciprocity with Texas? You can use your concealed carry here. We'd like to be able to do the same in Nevada.

Mike
    I don't know what is going on with that as it is under the purview of the NDPS and the NSCA.

Considering how our current law is written, it really has nothing to with the legislature - except to say that the law could be amended, and there is no such bill in the 2009 legislative session.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast