2009 Nevada Legislative Session Starts Today - AB46, BDR 138, BDR 15--200, BDR 15--25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Nevada Legislative Session Starts Today - AB46, BDR 138, BDR 15--200, BDR 15--25

2009 Nevada Legislative Session Starts Today - AB46, BDR 138, BDR 15--200, BDR 15--25

Bills

• AB46
      Requires mental health information to be included into the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History (our state mirror of the FBI CJIS) and forwarded to the FBI CJIS (NICS). I don't see anything harmful with this bill. It does not raise the cost of NICS checks in Nevada and it's what we should be doing to begin with to prevent mentally incompetent persons from purchasing firearms. Utah presently has a similar practice with their NICS POC system.

There are three relevant BDRs currently.

• BDR 138 is from Assemblyperson Settelmeyer.
      He has already informed me that his bill is to reinstate the State NICS exemption and to have the any semi-auto qualification requirement. I have no reason to believe that James Settelmeyer will throw us under the bus. He has been a strong supporter of NV CFP holders and RKBA in general.
    • BDR 15--200 is from former Nevada State Senator Joe Heck.
      He was in my district. He refused to tell me what his BDR was and only stated the NRA was for it. The NRA also endorsed Assemblyperson Kirkpatrick who threw us under the bus by sliding in the child care prohibition amendment to SB354 last legislative session.
    • BDR 15--255 is from Assemblyperson Mortensen.
      I e-mailed him on what the difference is between his bill and the current law on the books which is NRS 41.095. He has not responded.
    Last edited by lukem; 02-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Thanks for posting. I will be paying close attention to this thread.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

4. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Bills

• AB46
      Requires mental health information to be included into the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History (our state mirror of the FBI CJIS) and forwarded to the FBI CJIS (NICS). I don't see anything harmful with this bill. It does not raise the cost of NICS checks in Nevada and it's what we should be doing to begin with to prevent mentally incompetent persons from purchasing firearms. Utah presently has a similar practice with their NICS POC system.

He has already informed me that his bill is to reinstate the State NICS exemption and to have the any semi-auto qualification requirement. I have no reason to believe that James Settelmeyer will throw us under the bus. He has been a strong supporter of NV CFP holders and RKBA in general.
      He was in my district. He refused to tell me what his BDR was and only stated the NRA was for it. The NRA also endorsed Assemblyperson Kirkpatrick who threw us under the bus by sliding in the child care prohibition amendment to SB354 last legislative session.
      I e-mailed him on what the difference is between his bill and the current law on the books which is NRS 41.095. He has not responded.
    I would like to see BDR-138 go through.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    I would like to see BDR-138 go through.
    I would to but Bernie Anderson will probably scuttle it. Once BDR-138 becomes an Assembly Bill then we'll see what happens. It did get filed last summer, we'll see what happens.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

6. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    I would to but Bernie Anderson will probably scuttle it. Once BDR-138 becomes an Assembly Bill then we'll see what happens. It did get filed last summer, we'll see what happens.
    Can he get outvoted?
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Bills

• AB46

Thanks, Net, I'll be watching them closely too.

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Can he get outvoted?
    Nope. He's the Assembly Judiciary Committee Chair. That position has absolute power in the committee on what bills come to a vote on that committee. The bill has to make it out of committee before it can be voted on in the Assembly. Same thing goes for the Senate counterpart. I'm still trying to figure out why he gets re-elected. He has not won friends and influenced people as an Assemblyperson and Judicary Committee Chair.

Bills

• AB46

AB-46 - Not bad, not great. Has a couple of issues that could be a bit better.

BDR-138. You can bet it will be a good bill. I too have been in contact and anxiously await it in bill form so we can review it.

BDR-15-200. Will probably NOT go anywhere since Mr Heck is no longer in the Senate - unless someone else takes up the bill.

BDR 15-255. Again, waiting on the BDR to become a bill so we can review it. I have high hopes for it.

Also:

747 Assemblyman Gustavson. Provides for an additional special license plate indicating support for rights guaranteed pursuant to the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This one sounds good! And it isn't "feel good" crap - special license plates do raise $$$ for the state (I'm told.)

762 Assemblyman Hambrick. Makes various changes concerning the confiscation and disposition of dangerous weapons by law enforcement agencies. I instigated this one and am anxious to read/review the actual bill. Hopefully this will be a great bill.

AB77 Revises provisions governing the unlawful killing or possession of wildlife. (BDR 45-344)

There are also several non firearms related bills that I personally will be watching. Perhaps I'll post more aobut them later.

Nope. He's the Assembly Judiciary Committee Chair. That position has absolute power in the committee on what bills come to a vote on that committee. The bill has to make it out of committee before it can be voted on in the Assembly. Same thing goes for the Senate counterpart. I'm still trying to figure out why he gets re-elected. He has not won friends and influenced people as an Assemblyperson and Judicary Committee Chair.

True. And agreed.

If Bernie doesn't want to allow the bill a hearing, we'll have to mount a huge email/letter/phonecall campaign. This we did in the 2007 session - with success!

And, btw, this will be Bernie's last term. He is "term limited" out.

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    True. And agreed.

If Bernie doesn't want to allow the bill a hearing, we'll have to mount a huge email/letter/phonecall campaign. This we did in the 2007 session - with success!
    If you're referring to SB237 which was Nevada recognition and removing the specific firearm requirement, I don't know how much the e-mail, letter and phone call campaign worked. What got it kicked out of committee was Senator Lee making a compromise so we had just got any revolver out of the deal which wasn't bad. Senator Lee wanted to see some type of recognition or reciprocity pass so it would generate more revenue for the Clark County Shooting Park.
    And, btw, this will be Bernie's last term. He is "term limited" out.
    I know he's limited out, however he still can do lots of damage this session and I'm sure he will'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast